Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:42:25 -0400
From: Not EcksKaySeeDee <noteckskayseedee@...il.com>
To: Mike Cramer <mike.cramer@...look.com>
Cc: "fulldisclosure@...lists.org" <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Subject: Re: [FD] TrueCrypt?

May 30, 2014

Greetings,

New subscriber to FD here. I've been in systems/networking, and by default
dealt with security and encryption issues/topics, but not at the depth that
most(?) of the folks on FD have. So I have a few questions & thoughts:

1. Where do we go from here? What do you, as the experts, suggest for
people like me who are in IT, but not dedicated security pros, and
especially for average users who are now increasing their security
awareness in a post-Snowden world?

2. Does anyone else on this list actively use TC, and if so, what are your
plans now?

I am wary of the whole "use Bitlocker" suggestion because: A) it's closed
code, and B) it's Microsoft. Not that I hate Microsoft, it's just that I
don't know if/when they will roll over whenever the g-men show up and
demand keys to the backdoors (if any).

Of-course, open source is not perfect either, but, so the reasoning, goes,
you have the "many eyes" argument in support of it. This begs another
question (apologies), how many eyes are actually actively and consistently
reviewing/auditing open source code?

As far as I am aware (correct me if I'm wrong), there isn't a single
neutral group or entity staffed by people whose sole purpose is to audit
critical source code (be it TrueCrypt, OpenSSL, etcetera). Maybe there is a
need for such a group of people? Of-course the counter will be, who is
going to pay/feed/clothe these people to spend 24x7 auditing it? I wouldn't
trust the big corporations again because of their influence and possible
ties to the g-men and/or willingness to roll-over when the legal paperwork
starts to fly.

And now for some reason, I'm reminded of Descartes First Meditation:
discarding belief in all things that are not certain (apologies to any
philosophy majors or lovers out there). All of the trust/faith we put into
people and companies (open and closed source) to produce this s/ware that
we build our lives on, how can we be sure that they are no cracks in our
foundations?

Anyhow.

Cheers,
not xkcd.