Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 14:45:12 -0700
From: "CIURANA EUGENE (pr3d4t0r - Full Disclosure)" <fulldisclosure@...e.net>
To: <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Subject: Re: [FD] Full disk encryption for OS X alternative to TrueCrypt

On 2014-05-29 14:23, Jeffrey Groby wrote:

> Maybe I am confused
here. I thought FileVault was the full disk encryption tool for OS X and
TrueCrypt was the Windows solution. Are you writing an alternative to
FileVault?

> I am sure I must have misunderstood
something.

TrueCrypt was available to Linux and OS X users as well. The
most current version was 7.1a, and it did more or less the same things
as the Windows version, plus it also allowed you to reformat an
encrypted partition under HFS+ and treat it like a native OS X file
system in every other respect.

FileVault is suspect -- we have no
guarantee, one way or another, that Apple doesn't have some kind of back
door into it.

That's why I believe we need an alternative for OS X
users who rely on TrueCrypt and want better security than what is
provided by Apple.

Note: I love Apple products, but given Prism and
other disclosures, I don't trust their software to be safe. That's why
OTR, TrueCrypt, and GPG/PGP are in my arsenal for secure storage and
communications.

Cheers!

pr3d