Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:06:46 +0200
From: felsenkotzer@....net
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] Session Hijack Vulnerabilty on ebays german want ad?

Dear Christian,
obviously you have a cookie in your browser on computer A. Assumed, that kleinanzeigen.ebay.de does not match the IP addresses of different attemts to access the user page, this seems to be the only way to verify, that you are still you. So, you could take a look into your cookie and see, what is saved there. I would say, you won’t find your password in there, nor a hash of your password, but a session ID. How long the session ID is valid after the last server request using this ID, depends on the website. But yes: You can hijack a session of any other user, when you find a way to steal their cookie. You should avoid this. Firefox has an option to automatically delete all cookies when closing the browser.
Love
Torsten

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 08:21:44PM +0200, Christian K. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a question if this is an attack vector (website is german want ad
> branch from ebay kleinanzeigen.ebay.de prob. english site affected too):
>
> On Computer A the browser (FF) has an open tab with the site where, when
> visited, user A is always signed on (because the specific site is the user
> panel).
>
> On Computer B user A wants to log into his account, but forgot his
> password. He successfully changed his password using the "forgot password"
> button and was able to log in.
>
> Then user A moves from Computer B to Computer A (which was off at the time
> user A was at Computer B) and starts its browser where he realizes that he
> is still logged into his account on the site without any password
> confirmation.
>
> As this happend to me, the question is: is this an attack vector (I assume
> it is) and how can I as a user protect myself? Am not really into security
> engineering (just non-sec-related software engineering...), so forgive my
> dumbness!
>
> Thanks.
>

> C.

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)