Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 22:13:03 -0800
From: Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@...bell.net>
To: Stefan Kanthak <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Cc: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] Defense in depth -- the Microsoft way (part 20): Microsoft
 Update may fail to offer current security updates

Be aware that any out of date Silverlight will be blocked as of
November's IE release.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/10/14/october-2014-updates-and-a-preview-of-changes-to-out-of-date-activex-control-blocking.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn818438.aspx
"This update notifies you when a Web page tries to load a Silverlight
ActiveX control older than (but not including) Silverlight 5.1.30514.0."

It's been my experience that once the application has been installed
that as long as you are opted into Microsoft update (not Windows update
- which only offers up updates for the operating system), you do get
security updates for that installation.

It's also been my experience that when a new revision of "fill in the
blank" is released, I get it offered up again as the metadata of the
patch has changed. Ergo why I am CONSTANTLY ignoring that dang
Silverlight on the Servers I patch where I don't want it in the first
place. [Yes I could do server core where this is a non issue, but I
don't] I also did a test where I hid 2977218, installed the prior
version and when next I MU'd, I got 2977218. Perhaps they have changed
the behavior to where you will get updates offered up even if you
previously hid the update in question.

Also be aware that in Windows 10 there appears to be a new patching
cadence coming (details still to come) as well as defender is now
installed - and patched - by default:

http://blogs.windows.com/business/2014/09/30/introducing-windows-10-for-business/
"Businesses will be able to opt-in to the fast-moving consumer pace, or
lock-down mission critical environments to receive only security and
critical updates to their systems. And businesses will have an
in-between option for systems that aren’t mission critical, but need to
keep pace with the latest innovations without disrupting the flow of
business. And the choice isn’t one or the other for businesses; we
expect that most will require a mixed approach where a number of
scenarios can be accommodated.

Consumers, and opt-in businesses, will be able to take advantage of the
latest updates as soon as they are available, delivered via Windows
Update. Business customers can segment their own user groups, and choose
the model and pace that works for them. They will have more choice in
how they consume updates, whether through Windows Update or in a managed
environment. And for all scenarios, security and critical updates will
be delivered on a monthly basis."