Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:20:09 +0200
From: Or Peles <ORPELES@...ibm.com>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: [FD] SpoofedMe - Social Login Impersonation Attack

Hi,

We have discovered an impersonation attack on social login protocols (e.g.
Oauth 1.0 / 2.0 used for authentication) based on a combination of an
implementation vulnerability existing in some identity providers (e.g.
LinkedIn, which has fixed the issue) and a known design problem in the
relying (third-party) website side.

The identity provider vulnerability is allowing the use of un-verified
email in the social login authentication process, making it possible for
an adversary to fake ownership of an email address and log into a victim's
account.

By exploiting the vulnerability we successfully impersonated a Slashdot
(test) account using the (now patched) LinkedIn provider.

More details are available at:

1. Blog post:
http://securityintelligence.com/spoofedme-social-login-attack-discovered-by-ibm-x-force-researchers
2. Whitepaper:
http://www.slideshare.net/ibmsecurity/spoofed-me-socialloginattack

Or Peles & Roee Hay, IBM X-Force Application Security Research Team