Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2017 14:45:14 +0100
From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
To: <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: [FD] Executable installers are defective^WEVIL (case 1):
	putty-0.68-installer.exe

Hi @ll,

although puTTY finally offers MSI packages as primary installers on
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html>,
they still provide an executable installer putty-0.68-installer.exe
(see <http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2016/Mar/12>), still
created with InnoSetup.

putty-0.68-installer.exe is but a DEFECTIVE "portable executable"
image (see DUMPBIN output below)!

JFTR: unfortunately Windows' module loader covers these bugs and
      loads such defective PE image files.

DEFECTS:
~~~~~~~~

1. all (here: 8) IMAGE_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR entries in the IMPORT
   directory are INVALID: their Characteristics/OriginalFirstThunk
   fields contain 0 instead of the RVA of the import lookup table!

   From the PE/COFF specification, available via
   <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19509>,
   or <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ms809762.aspx>,
   "Table 8. IMAGE_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR":

| Offset  Size  Field              Description
|      0     4  Import Lookup      The RVA of the import lookup table.
|               Table RVA          This table contains a name or ordinal
|               (Characteristics)  for each import. (The name
|                                  "Characteristics" is used in Winnt.h,
|                                  but no longer describes this field.)

2. the IMPORT directory holds 2 IMAGE_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR entries for
   each of "kernel32.dll", "user32.dll" and "advapi32.dll", even with
   duplicate names (WriteFile, ReadFile, VirtualAlloc for example).

   It should but have only 1 IMAGE_IMPORT_DESCRIPTOR for each DLL!

   From the PE/COFF specification (see above):

| Import Directory Table
| The import directory table consists of an array of import directory
| entries, one entry for each DLL to which the image refers.

3. The "DLL characteristics" 0x8140 in the IMAGE_OPTIONAL_HEADER
   (see <https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680339.aspx>)
   specifies IMAGE_DLLCHARACTERISTICS_DYNAMIC_BASE, but the image
   file has no VALID relocation info:

   3.a) both RVA and size of the IMAGE_DIRECTORY_ENTRY_BASERELOC
        entry are 0!

   3.b) a ".reloc" section is present with (virtual) size 0x091C,
        but its file offset and size are both 0!

   3.c) the "PE characteristics" 0x818F specifies "relocations
        stripped"!

Minor bugs:
~~~~~~~~~~~

4. the ".rsrc" section contains different icons for language id
   0x0409 "en-US" and 0x0413 "nl-NL", but only for the icons 1 to 4,
   not for the icons 5 to 9.

   Icons should but all have the language id 0x0000, i.e. NEUTRAL!

5. all STRING resources have the language id 0x0000, although the
   strings are available in english only!

6. both the MANIFEST and the VERSIONINFO resource have language id
   0x0409 "en-US".

   Both should but have the language id 0x0000, i.e. NEUTRAL!

   For VERSIONINFO resources, the language of its entries is
   specified WITHIN the resource itself, not in its header!

   The language id within the VERSIONINFO resource of
   putty-0.68-installer.exe is 0x0000, despite the english only
   strings "This installation was built with Inno Setup." in
   "Comments", "PuTTY Setup" in "FileDescription" and "Release 0.68"
   in "FileVersion".

7. the timestamp in the PE header of putty-0.68-installer.exe is
   0x2A425E19, which is "Friday, 1992-06-19 22:22:17 UTC".

stay tuned
Stefan Kanthak

Timeline:
~~~~~~~~~

2017-02-24    report sent to authors of puTTY and InnoSetup

2017-02-25    reply from puTTY:
              "Unfortunately we have no interest in your intemperate
               tirade.  Please bother InnoSetup's author about it
               rather than us."

              NO reply from InnoSetup, not even an acknowledgement
              of receipt.

2017-03-04    report published

Evidence:
~~~~~~~~~

X:\>link.exe /dump /headers /imports putty-0.68-installer.exe

Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 8.00.50727.762

Dump of file putty-0.68-installer.exe

PE signature found

File Type: EXECUTABLE IMAGE

FILE HEADER VALUES
             14C machine (x86)
               8 number of sections
        2A425E19 time date stamp Sat Jun 20 00:22:17 1992
               0 file pointer to symbol table
               0 number of symbols
              E0 size of optional header
            818F characteristics
                   Relocations stripped
                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                   Executable
                   Line numbers stripped
                   Symbols stripped
                   Bytes reversed
                   32 bit word machine

OPTIONAL HEADER VALUES
             10B magic # (PE32)
            2.25 linker version
            A200 size of code
            6A00 size of initialized data
               0 size of uninitialized data
            AA98 entry point (0040AA98)
            1000 base of code
            C000 base of data
          400000 image base (00400000 to 00417FFF)
            1000 section alignment
             200 file alignment
            1.00 operating system version
            6.00 image version
            4.00 subsystem version
               0 Win32 version
           18000 size of image
             400 size of headers
          241218 checksum
               2 subsystem (Windows GUI)
            8140 DLL characteristics
                   Dynamic base
                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                   NX compatible
                   Terminal Server Aware
          100000 size of stack reserve
            4000 size of stack commit
          100000 size of heap reserve
            1000 size of heap commit
               0 loader flags
              10 number of directories
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Export Directory
            E000 [     97C] RVA [size] of Import Directory
           12000 [    5970] RVA [size] of Resource Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Exception Directory
          237760 [    37A0] RVA [size] of Certificates Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Base Relocation Directory
               ~~~~~~~~~~~~
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Debug Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Architecture Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Global Pointer Directory
           10000 [      18] RVA [size] of Thread Storage Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Load Configuration Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Bound Import Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Import Address Table Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Delay Import Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of COM Descriptor Directory
               0 [       0] RVA [size] of Reserved Directory

SECTION HEADER #1
    CODE name
    A1D0 virtual size
    1000 virtual address (00401000 to 0040B1CF)
    A200 size of raw data
     400 file pointer to raw data (00000400 to 0000A5FF)
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
60000020 flags
         Code
         Execute Read

SECTION HEADER #2
    DATA name
     250 virtual size
    C000 virtual address (0040C000 to 0040C24F)
     400 size of raw data
    A600 file pointer to raw data (0000A600 to 0000A9FF)
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
C0000040 flags
         Initialized Data
         Read Write

SECTION HEADER #3
     BSS name
     E94 virtual size
    D000 virtual address (0040D000 to 0040DE93)
       0 size of raw data
    AA00 file pointer to raw data
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
C0000000 flags
         Read Write

SECTION HEADER #4
  .idata name
     97C virtual size
    E000 virtual address (0040E000 to 0040E97B)
     A00 size of raw data
    AA00 file pointer to raw data (0000AA00 to 0000B3FF)
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
C0000040 flags
         Initialized Data
         Read Write

  Section contains the following imports:

    kernel32.dll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                40E0B4 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                ~~~~~~
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 DeleteCriticalSection
                    0 LeaveCriticalSection
                    0 EnterCriticalSection
                    0 InitializeCriticalSection
                    0 VirtualFree
                    0 VirtualAlloc
                    0 LocalFree
                    0 LocalAlloc
                    0 WideCharToMultiByte
                    0 TlsSetValue
                    0 TlsGetValue
                    0 MultiByteToWideChar
                    0 GetModuleHandleA
                    0 GetLastError
                    0 GetCommandLineA
                    0 WriteFile
                    0 SetFilePointer
                    0 SetEndOfFile
                    0 RtlUnwind
                    0 ReadFile
                    0 RaiseException
                    0 GetStdHandle
                    0 GetFileSize
                    0 GetSystemTime
                    0 GetFileType
                    0 ExitProcess
                    0 CreateFileA
                    0 CloseHandle

    user32.dll
    ~~~~~~~~~~
                40E128 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                ~~~~~~
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 MessageBoxA

    oleaut32.dll
                40E130 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                ~~~~~~
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 VariantChangeTypeEx
                    0 VariantCopyInd
                    0 VariantClear
                    0 SysStringLen
                    0 SysAllocStringLen

    advapi32.dll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                40E148 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                ~~~~~~
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 RegQueryValueExA
                    0 RegOpenKeyExA
                    0 RegCloseKey
                    0 OpenProcessToken
                    0 LookupPrivilegeValueA

    kernel32.dll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                40E160 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                ~~~~~~
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 WriteFile
                    0 VirtualQuery
                    0 VirtualProtect
                    0 VirtualFree
                    0 VirtualAlloc
                    0 Sleep
                    0 SizeofResource
                    0 SetLastError
                    0 SetFilePointer
                    0 SetErrorMode
                    0 SetEndOfFile
                    0 RemoveDirectoryA
                    0 ReadFile
                    0 LockResource
                    0 LoadResource
                    0 LoadLibraryA
                    0 IsDBCSLeadByte
                    0 GetWindowsDirectoryA
                    0 GetVersionExA
                    0 GetVersion
                    0 GetUserDefaultLangID
                    0 GetSystemInfo
                    0 GetSystemDirectoryA
                    0 GetSystemDefaultLCID
                    0 GetProcAddress
                    0 GetModuleHandleA
                    0 GetModuleFileNameA
                    0 GetLocaleInfoA
                    0 GetLastError
                    0 GetFullPathNameA
                    0 GetFileSize
                    0 GetFileAttributesA
                    0 GetExitCodeProcess
                    0 GetEnvironmentVariableA
                    0 GetCurrentProcess
                    0 GetCommandLineA
                    0 GetACP
                    0 InterlockedExchange
                    0 FormatMessageA
                    0 FindResourceA
                    0 DeleteFileA
                    0 CreateProcessA
                    0 CreateFileA
                    0 CreateDirectoryA
                    0 CloseHandle

    user32.dll
    ~~~~~~~~~~
                40E218 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                ~~~~~~
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 TranslateMessage
                    0 SetWindowLongA
                    0 PeekMessageA
                    0 MsgWaitForMultipleObjects
                    0 MessageBoxA
                    0 LoadStringA
                    0 ExitWindowsEx
                    0 DispatchMessageA
                    0 DestroyWindow
                    0 CreateWindowExA
                    0 CallWindowProcA
                    0 CharPrevA

    comctl32.dll
                40E24C Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 InitCommonControls

    advapi32.dll
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                40E254 Import Address Table
                     0 Import Name Table
                     0 time date stamp
                     0 Index of first forwarder reference

                    0 AdjustTokenPrivileges

SECTION HEADER #5
    .tls name
       8 virtual size
    F000 virtual address (0040F000 to 0040F007)
       0 size of raw data
    B400 file pointer to raw data
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
C0000000 flags
         Read Write

SECTION HEADER #6
  .rdata name
      18 virtual size
   10000 virtual address (00410000 to 00410017)
     200 size of raw data
    B400 file pointer to raw data (0000B400 to 0000B5FF)
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
50000040 flags
         Initialized Data
         Shared
         Read Only

SECTION HEADER #7
  .reloc name
  ~~~~~~
     91C virtual size
   11000 virtual address (00411000 to 0041191B)
       0 size of raw data
  ~~~~~~
       0 file pointer to raw data
  ~~~~~~
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers
50000040 flags
         Initialized Data
         Shared
         Read Only

SECTION HEADER #8
   .rsrc name
    6000 virtual size
   12000 virtual address (00412000 to 00417FFF)
    5A00 size of raw data
    B600 file pointer to raw data (0000B600 to 00010FFF)
       0 file pointer to relocation table
       0 file pointer to line numbers
       0 number of relocations
       0 number of line numbers