Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 10:59:34 -0500
From: Brandon Perry <bperry.volatile@...il.com>
To: fulldisclosure@...lists.org,
 oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [FD] Numerous FreeTDS crashes fixed on master

I was asked what software this affects.

PHP - http://www.freetds.org/userguide/php.htm <http://www.freetds.org/userguide/php.htm>
Perl DBI - http://www.peppler.org/freeware/dbd-sybase.html <http://www.peppler.org/freeware/dbd-sybase.html>
Ruby DBI w/ Sybase - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/721960/connecting-to-sql-server-with-activerecord <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/721960/connecting-to-sql-server-with-activerecord>
Python-Sybase - http://python-sybase.sourceforge.net/index.html <http://python-sybase.sourceforge.net/index.html>

Other languages have less-official bindings.

Go - https://github.com/minus5/gofreetds <https://github.com/minus5/gofreetds>
Erlang - http://arcusfelis.github.io/blog/2012/07/02/odbc/ <http://arcusfelis.github.io/blog/2012/07/02/odbc/>
R - http://eriqande.github.io/2014/12/19/setting-up-rodbc.html <http://eriqande.github.io/2014/12/19/setting-up-rodbc.html>

Also, obviously the tsql binary if used to connect to an untrusted MSSQL/Sybase server.

> On May 9, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Brandon Perry <bperry.volatile@...il.com> wrote:
>
> Attached is a zip file of reported TDS streams that cause segmentation faults in the FreeTDS library. The ‘tsql’ binary was used for the fuzzing, so these most likely only affect client-side functionality. These have been resolved on master and the 1.0 branch.
>
> Also included in the zip file is a bucket.txt, a crashwalk db dump detailing the crashes for the files in the zip file.
>
> You can find the bucket.txt itself in the following Github gist as well. No CVE’s have been requested.
>
> https://gist.github.com/brandonprry/bfb0e58682d464e2d2d319644790bdf5 <https://gist.github.com/brandonprry/bfb0e58682d464e2d2d319644790bdf5>
>
> To test, you can compile FreeTDS, then use preeny to redirect network IO to stdin/stdout.
>
> export LD_PRELOAD=~/preeny/x86_64-linux-gnu/desock.so
> unzip freetds_crashed.zip
> cd rpt
> for i in id*; do valgrind ~/freetds/build/src/apps/tsql -S 127.0.0.1 -U fdsa -P fdsa -I ~/tdsconfig < $i; done
>
> A simple tdsconfig file can be used to speed things up a bit.
>
> [global]
> timeout = 1
> connect timeout = 1
>

> Many thanks to Frediano Ziglio, the maintainer of FreeTDS, for quick communication and bug fix turn arounds.
>
> <freetds_crashes.zip>

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (802 bytes)