Date:	Thu, 2 Nov 2006 02:44:28 +0100 (CET)
From:	Grzegorz Kulewski <kangur@...com.net>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...sterfs.com>
Cc:	Dave Kleikamp <shaggy@...tin.ibm.com>,
	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ext4 roadmap

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Nov 02, 2006  00:52 +0100, Grzegorz Kulewski wrote:
>> Is there any chance to get compression and/or encryption in ext4?
>
> Note that all of the features mentioned in the list at least have some
> kind of prototype already or people working on it.  It isn't really a
> "feature request list".  I'm not sure how many people are interested
> in compression/encryption, but if they are they should come forward
> with a patch.

I understand that. Unfortunatelly I don't have enough time to write
something like that and my knowledge about ext3/4 in the kernel is pretty
limited too.

***This is only an idea if somebody with more code knowledge has time and
thinks that this is worth implementing. This is simply something that I,
a user (maybe a little more advanced one, but still user) of ext3, thinks
would be usefull.***

Also (as to the compression) I think Linux's VFS and page cache and so on
operates rather on data amounts of constant length and isn't too well
suited for making them smaller (or larger) somewhere in the middle
between userspace and the disk. But maybe I am completly wrong about it.
But if I am not wrong extending core Linux components to allow easy
generic compression (or other manipulation that changes size) should be
probably done in cooperation with something that works pretty close with
core kernel components (like ext3/4 in my opinion does). This could
possibly allow to avoid having 10 different implementation for each
filesystem in the future. Compression and especially encryption should not
be (in my opinion) too much fs dependent (fs should not care too much
about data only about metadata) and should have only minimal per-fs
support (additional metadata to allow discovering that file was
compressed and to allow seeks for example). But again, maybe I am
completly wrong.

As to the encryption and per-dir quota they should be probably easier (I
hope). Maybe even I can try to hack something like that if somebody could
tell me how to do it in a way to not break too much in the process). But
they would probably require some ext3 on-disk filesystem layout changes
(and e2progs changes too) so maybe ext4-development time is good to
introduce them?

> Note that there was previously a compression patch for ext2, maybe that
> could be moved forward for ext4?

I know about ext2 patch (I even think there was more than one) and I even
used it in those old days when linux distro could be made to fit on 250MB
disk without too much problems. I think I ever know (one of?) the author
of it personally. Unfortunatelly IIRC this was rather some not very pretty
and efficient hack. It should be probably reimplemented from scratch
rather than ported. I think too much (journaling, ...) changed since then
in ext3/4. But again, maybe I am completly wrong and those old bits of
code could be made to work on newer kernels somehow.

Thanks,

Grzegorz Kulewski