Date:	Fri, 02 Mar 2007 10:28:10 -0800
From:	Mingming Cao <cmm@...ibm.com>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
CC:	nscott@...nex.com, "Amit K. Arora" <aarora@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, suparna@...ibm.com, alex@...sterfs.com,
	suzuki@...ibm.com, Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()

Andrew Morton wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:40:54 +1100
> Nathan Scott <nscott@...nex.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 14:25 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

>>>I'd agree with Eric on the "command" flag extension.
>>
>>Seems like a separate syscall would be better, "command" sounds
>>a bit ioctl like, especially if that command is passed into the
>>filesystems..
>>

> madvise, fadvise, lseek, etc seem to work OK.
>
> I get repeatedly traumatised by patch rejects whenever a new syscall gets
> added, so I'm biased.
>
> The advantage of a command flag is that we can add new modes in the future
> without causing lots of churn, waiting for arch maintainers to catch up,
> potentially adding new compat code, etc.
>
> Rename it to "mode"? ;)

I am wondering if it is useful to add another mode to advise block
allocation policy? Something like indicating which physical block/block
group to allocate from (goal), and whether ask for strict contigous
blocks. This will help preallocation or reservation to choose the right
blocks for the file.

Right now neither ext4 preallocation implementation or reservation are
guranteed to allocate/reserve contigugous extents. If the application
told it so, it could do more searching to satisfy the requirement.

Or fadvise is the right interface?

Mingming