Date:	Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:02:59 -0800
From:	Mingming Cao <cmm@...ibm.com>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
CC:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, nscott@...nex.com,
	"Amit K. Arora" <aarora@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, suparna@...ibm.com, alex@...sterfs.com,
	suzuki@...ibm.com, Ulrich Drepper <drepper@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Heads up on sys_fallocate()

Jan Kara wrote:

>>>madvise, fadvise, lseek, etc seem to work OK.
>>>
>>>I get repeatedly traumatised by patch rejects whenever a new syscall gets
>>>added, so I'm biased.
>>>
>>>The advantage of a command flag is that we can add new modes in the future
>>>without causing lots of churn, waiting for arch maintainers to catch up,
>>>potentially adding new compat code, etc.
>>>
>>>Rename it to "mode"? ;)
>>>

>>I am wondering if it is useful to add another mode to advise block
>>allocation policy? Something like indicating which physical block/block
>>group to allocate from (goal), and whether ask for strict contigous
>>blocks. This will help preallocation or reservation to choose the right
>>blocks for the file.
>
>   Yes, I also think this would be useful so you can "guide"
> preallocation for things like defragmentation (e.g. preallocate space
> for the file being defragmented and move the file to it).
>
> 									Honza
Yep, I think it makes sense to use preallocation for defragmentation.
After all both preallocation and defragmentation shall call underlying
filesystem multiple block allocator to try to allocate a chunk of
contiguous blocks on disk. ext4 online defrag implementation by Takashi
already support to choose a "goal" allocation block to guide the ext4
block allocator to place the defraged file is a specific location.

Passing a little bit more hint to sys_fallocate() (i.e, goal block,
and/or whether the goal block is important over the size of prealloc
extent), might make it more useful for the orginial goal (get contigous
and guranteed blocks) and for defragmentation.

Regards,
Mingming