Date:	Mon, 07 May 2007 19:16:31 +0530
From:	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
To:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
CC:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...sterfs.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC][take 4] e2fsprogs: Add ext4migrate

Hi,

Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 08:56:11AM +0530, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
>> Andreas Dilger wrote:
>>> If this code could also (or optionally just) increase the size of inodes
>>> it would be very useful.  AFAIK right now it will only change the inodes
>> >from block-mapped to extent-mapped?
>
> Actually, changing the inode size is actually going to be more useful
> to a larger number of people, since they can use it today to support
> in-inode EA's.  In addition, changing the inode size must be done
> off-line, whereas it's not so clear that off-line conversion to
> extents is the best way to go (more on that below).

One of the option i was thinking was to use this tool to migrate to
extent map and then towards the end use the online defrag ioctl to
defrag the resulting ext4 inode.

That way we don't need to add kernel code that convert ext3 inode to
ext4 inode while defragmentation. Last time i looked at the online
defrag code, i was not able to figure out a easy way to take indirect
map inode as input, then defrag the same and write the result in extent
map.

-aneesh