Date:	Thu, 17 May 2007 18:11:19 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Eric <erpo41@...il.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext2/3/4 online defrag

  Hello,

  Sorry for replying a bit late...

> This is my first post to the list. I want to add online defrag support
> to ext2/3/4 just to scratch an itch.
>
> I've searched the archives and googled around, and I've come to the
> following conclusions:
> *An offline defrag tool is available but dangerous.
  For original e2defrag - yes. But me (and several other people
independently as I've learnt recently) have written some tools which
should result in something useful. If you're interested, you can join
prefetch-devel@...glegroups.com - it's led by one guy who is doing
defrag and stuff as his google summer of code project.

> *Some patches exist that provide preliminary support for online defrag
> in the ext3 driver, but interest in improving/integrating these patches
> is low.
  The code itself for ext3 is not a big deal. Main problem are kernel
interfaces and I hope to find some time soon to put together some
reasonable proposal for reasonably generic calls...

> *An implementation of an ext* filesystem driver can work with any
> ext2/3/4 filesystem as long as it supports the necessary revision
> (GOOD_OLD_REV or DYNAMIC_REV) and feature flags set in the filesystem.
  Not sure what you mean here...

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>