Date:	Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:39:09 +0200
From:	Valerie Clement <valerie.clement@...l.net>
To:	anton.andreev@....uni-sofia.bg
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 64 bit support for ext4 problem

Anton Andreev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to try my ext4 to be 64 bit.
>
> I could not patch e2fsprogs-1.39
> <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39.tar.gz>
> with
> http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/patches/ext4-e2fsprogs-1.39.patch.tar
> . I would appreciate if someone tell me exactly how to do that.
>
> Does the newest version of e2fsprogs
> <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.39.tar.gz>
> supports the features in the patch?

Hi Anton,

you need to patch the e2fsprogs only if you want to create an ext4
filesystem larger than 16 TB with 4KB block size. If it is your case,
I could send you a more recent version of patches. Let me know.

Ext4 supports 48-bit physical block numbers, not yet 64-bit physical
block numbers; this is due to the use of extents mapping.

If you want to use the extent format (mount -t ext4dev -o extents), I
think you should use the latest version of e2fsprogs available here:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.40.2.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs-1.40.2.tar.gz
This version should integrate the extents capability.

Remember that if you use extents, your filesystem will no longer be
mountable by ext3.

Regards,
   Valérie