Date:	Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:01:27 -0700
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: The e2fsprogs nlinks-dir patch

On Mar 13, 2008  13:20 -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> I was just auditing the e2fsprogs nlinks-dir patch, and I think there
> are some problems with it.   First of all, it creates a whole new set of
> icount abstractions so it can count using a 32-bit count.  That's
> strictly not necessary, since all e2fsck cares about is whether the
> count is bigger than EXT2_LINK_MAX, or 65,000.

One of the reasons for this change is the ability to actually count
nlinks > 65536 - the old code would just blindly wrap if this ever
happened.  It might also be useful in the future if we rejig the
256-byte inode to have a 32-bit i_nlink count.

There was some other bit of code we were working on that needed a 32-bit
icount, but I can't recall what it is right now.  Maybe Girish or Kalpak
will recall?

> The bigger problem is that it fetches the actual number of
> subdirectories (which could be some very large number, like 65538, or
> some number much larger than 2**16):
>
> 		ext2fs_icount_fetch32(ctx->inode_count, i, &link_counted);
>
> It then tests to see if the on-disk count is OK, which it does this way:
>
> 		if (link_counted != link_count &&
> 		    !(ext2fs_test_inode_bitmap(ctx->inode_dir_map, i) &&
> 		      link_count == 1 && link_counted > EXT2_LINK_MAX)) {
>
> So if it is the actual and on-disk count is different, but the inode in
> question is an inode and the on-disk count is 1, but the actual count is
                 ^^^^^ directory?

> greater than EXT2_LINK_MAX, it's OK.  Otherwise, we need to Take Action.
>
> OK, but what if the on-disk count is some number less than EXT2_LINK_MAX
> --- say, 64,999?  And what if the actual number of subdiretories is
> somewhat larger and greater than EXT2_LINK_MAX, say, like 65538?   Well,
> then the code blindly assignens the 32-bit link_counted to the 16-bit
> on-disk i_links_count field, and writes it to disk:
>
> 				inode->i_links_count = link_counted;
> 				e2fsck_write_inode(ctx, i, inode, "pass4");
>
> The number 65538 will get masked down to 2.  Hilarity then ensues.

Can you expand?  I tested the kernel and a link count of 2 will still
result in the "ext3_is_empty()" function being called prior to doing
the unlink and it will be refused.  If a subdirectory is removed at
that point nlink will go down to 1 again and all is well?

> + * We now use a 32-bit counter field because it doesn't cost us
> + * anything extra for the in-memory data structure, due to alignment
> + * padding.  But there's no point changing the interface if most of
> + * the time we only care if the number is bigger than 65,000 or not.
> + * So use the following translation function to return a 16-bit count.
> + */
> +#define icount_16_xlate(x) (((x) > 65500) ? 65500 : (x))

This hack does make the patch a lot less intrusive...

I don't have any objections.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger