Date:	Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:50:08 -0700
From:	Mingming Cao <cmm@...ibm.com>
To:	Andi Kleen <andi@...stfloor.org>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext3_valid_block_bitmap: Invalid block bitmap in 2.6.25rc in
	memory

On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 22:57 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> FYI, a system here running various 2.6.25rc kernels (latest upto rc7-git6)
> with longer uptimes suddenly decided to fsck one of its file systems
> due to an error after reboot.
>
> The error causing this was:
>
> kernel: EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_valid_block_bitmap: Invalid block bitmap - block_group = 285, block = 9338882
>
> detected by the 2.6.25rc7-git6 kernel.
>
> I don't see any ill effects from it and fsck didn't find anything wrong
> so it must have been something spurious in memory only (or fsck
> fails to check for this condition, but that is hard to imagine)

The ext3_valid_block_bitmap() is to check whether the block or inode
bitmap block is marked as "used" in the block group bitmap, to prevent
allocating blocks from these system meta data blocks. The error messages
seems indicating that one of the block group meta data is corrupted, but
I don't why fsck doesn't catch this, Andreas?

Mingming