Date:	Wed, 21 May 2008 10:14:23 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	Bas van Schaik <bas@...es.nl>
Cc:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....EDU>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Scripting e2fsck: no errors,
 but still exit code 1 "FILE SYSTEM	WAS MODIFIED"

On May 20, 2008  23:19 +0200, Bas van Schaik wrote:
> Theodore Tso wrote:
> > Andreas is right though that if you are taking a proper snapshot, the
> > disk really should be quiesced and no journal replay should be
> > required at all.  That's how a devicemapper snapshot works in LVM ---
> > so one good question to explore is how *are* you doing your snapshots.
>
> Exactly my thoughts, but apparently something is wrong here too. Maybe I
> should note that my journal commit interval is set to something like 5
> or 10 seconds, is that relevant?

No, this is normal.

> Again a small snippet of bash responsible for snapshotting:
> > snapshot_stamp=`date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S`
> > lvcreate --snapshot --size 50G --name backups-snapshot-$snapshot_stamp
> > $LV &> $TMPLOGFILE
>
> This is not a weird way to snapshot, is it?

No, this is normal, yet it doesn't seem to work correctly.  Can you please
add some sort of debug message into ext3_write_super_lockfs() and
ext3_unlockfs() to make sure these functions are being called for your
filesystem when you are doing the snapshot.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group