Date:	Wed, 28 May 2008 12:33:49 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, sandeen@...hat.com
Subject: Re: Delayed allocation and page_lock vs transaction start ordering

On Wed 28-05-08 15:13:52, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:33:24AM +0200, Jan Kara wrote:

> > > I am looking at  __block_write_full_page and we have
> > >
> > > if (!buffer_mapped(bh) && buffer_dirty(bh)) {
> > > 	WARN_ON(bh->b_size != blocksize);
> > > 	err = get_block(inode, block, bh, 1);
> > > 	if (err)
> > >
> > > ie, we do get_block only if the buffer_head is dirty. So I am bit
> > > doubtful whether we are actually allocating blocks via page_mkwrite.
> >   Good catch, we should mark unmapped buffers dirty before calling writepage.
> > Actually, if the page didn't have any buffers, block_write_full_page() will
> > create them all dirty so that's probably why I didn't hit it in my testing
> > but it's definitely safer to mark them dirty explicitely. Thanks.
>
> looking at create_empty_buffers we do that only if page is marked as
> dirty. In the case of page_mkwrite the page is also not marked dirty
> when we call the call back right ?
  But in block_write_full_page() we do:
        if (!page_has_buffers(page)) {
                create_empty_buffers(page, blocksize,
                                        (1 << BH_Dirty)|(1 << BH_Uptodate));
        }
  So buffers are created dirty...

> >   It is enough to change ext4_bh_mapped() to something like:
> > static int ext4_bh_prepare_fill(handle_t *handle, struct buffer_head *bh)
> > {
> > 	if (!buffer_mapped(bh)) {
> > 		/*
> > 		 * Mark buffer as dirty so that block_write_full_page()
> > 		 * writes it
> > 		 */
> > 		set_buffer_dirty(bh);
> > 		return 1;
> > 	}
> > 	return 0;
> > }
> >
> >   Should I send you an updated patch with this change and the changes we spoke
> > about yesterday, or just an incremental changes which you will fold yourself
> > into the big one?
> >

> This will mark only the first unmapped buffer_head as dirty. What about
> the rest of the buffer_heads in the page that are unmapped ?
  Oops, I forgot that walk_page_buffers() stops after the first non-zero
return. So we have to split the function - keep ext4_bh_mapped() and
add one more traversal with in case there is some unmapped buffer:

static int ext4_bh_prepare_fill(handle_t *handle, struct buffer_head *bh)
{
	if (!buffer_mapped(bh)) {
		/*
		 * Mark buffer as dirty so that block_write_full_page()
		 * writes it
		 */
		set_buffer_dirty(bh);
	}
	return 0;
}

> I am looking at pushing the ext4_page_mkwrite before rest of  the
> changes. That is needed to handle ENOSPC when mmap write to files with
> holes.
  I see. OK.

								Honza
--