Date:	Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:08:42 -0400
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	Bernd Schubert <bs@...eap.de>
CC:	Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@....de>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext4 64bit (disk >16TB) question

Bernd Schubert wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2008 15:16:33 Ric Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

>>> Is that a problem for the kernel or for the user space? I notices that
>>> mke2fs 1.39 used over a gigabyte memory to format a >16TiB disk. While
>>> being a lot that is not really a problem here.

>>> Will there be filesystem changes as well? The above mentioned
>>> run-length encoding sounds a bit like a new bitmap format or is that
>>> only supposed to be the in memory format in userspace?
>>>
>>> What is the plan of how to add 64-bit support to the shared lib now?
>>> Will you introduce a do_foo64() function in parallel to do_foo() to
>>> maintain abi compatibility? Will you add versioned symbols? Or will
>>> there be an abi break at some point?
>>>
>>> The reason I ask all this is because I'm willing to spend some time
>>> patching and testing. A single >16TiB filesystem instead of multiple
>>> smaller ones would be a great benefit for us.
>>>
>> Can you give us any details about your use case? Is it hundreds of very
>> large files, or 100 million little ones?
>>

> Depends on our customers. Though lustre is rather slow for small files and we
> try to inform our customers about that. On the other hand there also also no
> choices of cluster filesystem for small files.

Thanks - so this is not an internal application, but hosting for various
workloads? We have different scalability issues depending on the nature
and mix of file sizes, etc.

>> Any interesting hardware in the mix on the storage or server side?
>>

> What exactly do you want to know? Usually we have a server-pair and Infortrend
> Raid-units. Since lustre doesn't do any redundancy on its own, we usually
> also have a raid1, raid5 or raid6 of several raid units.

One thing that we have been working on/thinking about is how best to
automatically self tune a file system to the storage. Today, XFS is
probably the best normal linux file system at figuring out raid stripe
size, etc. Getting this enhanced in ext4 could lead to a significant
performance win for users who are not masters of performance tuning, etc.

How long would you wait for something like fsck to run to completion
before you would need to go to back up tapes? 6 hours? 1 day? 1 week ;-) ?

> For ease of management and optimal performance, we need single partitions
> larger than 8TiB (raid1) or 16TiB (raid5 or raid6). And the present 8TiB
> limit strongly bites us.
>

> Cheers,
> Bernd

Makes sense, thanks for the information!

Regards,

Ric