Date:	Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:57:03 -0600
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	Mark Fasheh <mfasheh@...e.com>
Cc:	Eric Sandeen <esandeen@...hat.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: FIEMAP patches

On Aug 25, 2008  23:22 -0700, Mark Fasheh wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 02:22:50PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > I read through the entire previous FIEMAP thread (phew!) and it boils
> > down mostly to:
> >
> > s/FIEMAP_FLAG_NO_DIRECT/FIEMAP_FLAG_NO_BYPASS/
>
> Yeah, there's a few like that. I'll have to go back through the thread.

There are many proposed changes, but to be honest I don't agree with
many of them.  It was just an exercise in "I think my naming of these
flags will be better than yours" without much substance in the end.
I got a few private emails from different parties (e.g. Dave Chinner)
that just want to get this finished, and the most vocal complainer(s)
are not necessarily the ones that need listening to.

> > > * FIEMAP_EXTENT_UNWRITTEN
> > > Unwritten extent - the extent is allocated but it's data has not been
> > > initialized.  This indicates the extent's data will be all zero.
> > This should say "will be all zero if read through the filesystem
> > but the contents are undefined if read directly from the device."
> >
> > There was also an update to the ext4 patch from Kalpak for handling
> > EA-in-inode at the same time as an external inode.
> >
> > Eric, Mark,
> > could one of you please just submit the patches to Andrew for inclusion.
> > I think there was plenty of debate already, with very little significant
> > benefit except suggesting different names for some of the flags.
>
> Agreed. I'll go ahead and spin another set of patches this week.

Thanks.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger