Date:	Fri, 19 Dec 2008 17:35:58 +0800
From:	"Peter Teoh" <htmldeveloper@...il.com>
To:	"Rohit Sharma" <imreckless@...il.com>
Cc:	"Jan Kara" <jack@...e.cz>,
	Kernelnewbies <kernelnewbies@...linux.org>,
	ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: block allocation for ext2_mkdir

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Rohit Sharma <imreckless@...il.com> wrote:

>>> Does ext2 uses ext2_get_block to allocate blocks for both files and
>>> directories. ??
>>  Yes, exactly. Ext2 (unlike ext3 or ext4) treats directories the same
>> ways as ordinary files and thus ext2_get_block is used for block
>> allocation.
>>

> Can i modify this function to restrict allocation of blocks
> to a particular block group ?
>
> Like i want that my abc.txt file should be in block group 5 suppose, then
> what should i do?

I think this can be done.   Or is done in the kernel source in several
ways (indirectly).

1.   ext2_find_goal()-->this will look for the best new block.   when
searching, it will try to find the block to be allocated to follow the
one last allocated in the file, so as to maintain storage contiguity.

2.   looking into fs/ext2/balloc.c: ext2_try_to_allocate(), there is a
argument called group_goal, whose purpose is to specify the goal block
group, and the algorithm will start searching from the group specified
(look for "start=grp_goal").   Of course, if search is in vain it will
proceed to other block group, which u don't want ....so may be can
customize from here.

Not sure if I am right?

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh

Ernest Hemingway - "Never mistake motion for action."