Date:	Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:39:59 -0500
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@...il.com>
CC:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Thiemo Nagel <thiemo.nagel@...tum.de>,
	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [RFC] ext4_bmap() may return blocks outside filesystem

Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:03:23PM +0100, Thiemo Nagel wrote:
>>
>>> But there also are cases which are not handled gracefully by bmap() callers.
>>>
>>> I've attached a conceptual patch against 2.6.29-rc2 which fixes one case
>>> in which invalid block numbers are returned (there might be more) by
>>> adding sanity checks to ext4_ext_find_extent(), but before I start
>>> looking for further occurences, I'd like to ask whether you think my
>>> approach is reasonable.
>>>
>> Yes, it's reasonable; the right thing is not just to jump out to
>> errout, though, but to call ext4_error() first, since the filesystem is
>> clearly corrupted, so we want to mark the filesystem as needing to be
>> fsck'ed, and so if the filesystem is marked "remount readonly" or
>> "panic" on filesystem errors, that the right thing happens.  We should
>> also log the device name, inode number and logical block number that
>> was requested, so that someone who is looking in the console logs can
>> see what was going on at the time.
>>
>> As an unrelated patch, might also want to put a check in
>> fs/ext4/inode.c's ext4_get_branch(), so we can equivalently detect
>> bogus direct/indirect blocks and flag them with the appropriate
>> errors.
>>
>>                                                - Ted
>>

> This is just a rant, and I doubt anyone can do anything about it, but
> it is still worth reading imho.
>
> <rant>
> This brings up a concern I have with the proposed Thin Provisioning
> updates to the SCSI and ATA specs.
>
> As I'm sure most know, both are looking at supporting the concept of
> mapped / unmapped sectors being tracked not only in the filesystem but
> also in the storage device.
>
> [SSDs are one use case, and  storage arrays are the other.  Many
> storage arrays already support thin provisioning but not via the new
> "discard" functionality in the linux kernel.]
>
> My big concern is that neither is proposing a way for a tool like fsck
> to query the storage device to verify the filesystem's view of what is
> mapped vs unmapped agrees with the storage devices view.

I think that from a file system point of view (including tools like
fsck), that is a feature, not a bug. The features should be, if done
right, invisible to us and this should be irrelevant to fsck .....

> For both sets of proposed spec updates there are circumstances where
> the storage device spec allows garbage to be returned for non-mapped
> sectors.  Thus in the situation of a corrupt filesystem, it is very
> possible that some of the sectors that the filesystem is relying on
> are actually unmapped and potentially garbage.
>
> Lacking any knowledge of which specific sectors the underlying storage
> systems treats as reliable vs. unreliable, I can imagine the
> filesystem corruption will go from a correctable situation to a
> "restore from backups" situation.

I disagree - any written data, specifically all meta-data, will have the
correct data returned on read. All unmapped data is also by definition
un-allocated at the fs layer (for fsck as well) and we should not be
reading it back if the tools work correctly.