Date:	Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:23:07 +0100
From:	"J.D. Bakker" <jdb@...tmaker.nl>
To:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Recovering a damaged ext4 fs - revisited.

At 23:29 -0700 05-02-2009, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>On Feb 06, 2009  04:06 +0100, J.D. Bakker wrote:
>  > On reboot the system refused to auto-fsck /dev/md0. A manual e2fsck -nv
>  > /dev/md0 reported:
>  > [...]
>  >   Error writing block 1 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted
>>  in short write).  Ignore error? no
>>    Error writing block 2 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted
>>  in short write).  Ignore error? no
>>    Error writing block 3 (Attempt to write block from filesystem resulted
>>  in short write).  Ignore error? no
>
>This is a serious problem.

Could this be caused by my using the -n option on e2fsck (see my
reply to Eric)?

>  > As I said, is there anything I can do to recover my data, or to make
>>  sure this doesn't happen again?
>
>I would say to run "e2fsck -fp /dev/XXX" and your data _should_ be
>there.

No dice:

   newraidfs: Note: if several inode or block bitmap blocks or part
   of the inode table require relocation, you may wish to try
   running e2fsck with the '-b 32768' option first.  The problem
   may lie only with the primary block group descriptors, and
   the backup block group descriptors may be OK.

   newraidfs: Block bitmap for group 7808 is not in group.  (block 3731742663)

   newraidfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
	  (i.e., without -a or -p options)

Thanks,

JDB.
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lartmaker.nl/