Date:	Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:02:24 -0400
From:	Ron Peterson <rpeterso@...olyoke.edu>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: old/new ext3 compatibility

2009-03-19_14:45:02-0400 rpeterso:
> As I understand it, debian lenny's ext3 filesystem uses 256 byte inodes,
> to be forward compatible with ext4.
>
> I have a production server running debian etch.  It is attached to a
> fiber channel array, on which it has several ext3 filesystems.  I'm
> installing a new server, and I'd like to use lenny.  It will be attached
> to the same array, and I'd like to be able to occasionally use the ext3
> filesystems created previously.  Ideally, I'd also like to go the other
> direction as well.  Is this possible, or just crazy talk?

If I understand what I'm reading correctly, this is a non-problem.  Any
recent 2.6 kernel should understand ext3 filesystems with 256 byte
inodes just fine.  The only thing that has happened is that the latest
debian stable defaults to using 256 byte inodes rather than 128.  Is
that correct?  Are there any gotcha's here that I should be aware of?

TIA

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Manager