Date:	Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:43:10 -0500
From:	Don Porter <porterde@...utexas.edu>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
CC:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ext3 leaking buffer_heads

Thanks for the tip, Eric.

I spent some time tracing through this in a debugger.

I believe the lingering buffer_heads are allocated by
journal_write_commit_record()->journal_get_descriptor_buffer()->__getblk().
The reference count ends up at zero, but the buffer head is never freed.

As best I can tell, this is correct as long as the associated page is
cached, so that the associated buffer_head can be looked up and reused
later.

I plan to look into this more, but perhaps the issue is just that the
kernel should be more aggressive about freeing cached journal pages?
They are highly unlikely to be used again once a committed transaction
is completely out on disk, as the journal is roughly an append-only log,
right?

Thanks again,
Don