Date:	Tue, 05 May 2009 16:44:36 +0200
From:	"Marcel Partap" <mpartap@....net>
To:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: fsck ate my ext4 home partition, help!?

> Have you checked /proc/mounts? mtab could be stale, lsof not seeing
> everything and the "empty mountpoint" could be some other mount on top of
> /home.
Well how did that happen. It indeed still shows up there:
/dev/sdd4 /home ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,user_xattr,data=writeback 0 0
Which btw means this actually is an ext3 volume, confirmed by fstab. How did i miss this. Fo0 bar!

> > previous run of e2fsck with the -n was showing a bunch of stuff to fix,
> Do you still have that e2fsck output?
> > revealed the havoc that was done: ls -laR showed abundant I/O errors,
> Again: error messages would be helpful.
Sending you the screen output buffer in a minute.

> You did not take the dd image before the first e2fsck, hm?
Well backing up files before trashing them is sooo unadventurous aint it. e2fsck really needs the ability to write all actions to an undo log file. By default. Hmmpf.

> Now that you
> have a backup: a few days ago a tool called "extundelete"[0] has been
> annunced on ext3-users, maybe that can be of help recovering your fs.
Going to let it loose on the partition and have a go, hopefully i don't have to free another 300gig for it to recover the files...

> e2fsprogs-1.41.5 has been released recently, you might want to give it a
> shot.
Hmm will have a look at the changelog and recompile, thx for the notice.

> Christian.
> Perfect Forward Secrecy is when Bruce Schneier whispers something in your
> ear.
Thx so much for your time and effort to provide with a new mission briefing. On to recovery and BEYOND!!!
marcel ;)