Date:	Wed, 06 May 2009 15:43:15 +0200
From:	"Marcel Partap" <mpartap@....net>
To:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: fsck ate my ext4 home partition, help!?

Hmm yeah. First attempt issuing a fsck.ext3 -yv /dev/sdd4 resulted in a lost+found frenzy - everything under the former directory /mnt/sdc4/homedirs/currenthomebase (which was mounted under /home) got relinked into lost+found with sequential numbers... Not bad, the data is there - but this is quite unusable iykwim..

> Now that you have a backup copy, I'd suggest to get that "but sdd4 is
> mounted" error out of the way and try to e2fsck with a different
> superblock.

Uhmm, well. So i again dded the backup image to the partition, ran mkfs.ext3 -nv /dev/sdd4 to get a list of the FS's backup superblocks, then tried to see if any of them is in a better state than the original one by doing
> for blockpos in 32768 98304 163840 229376 294912 819200 884736 1605632
> 2654208 4096000 7962624 11239424 20480000 23887872; do fsck.ext3 -vnb
> $blockpos /dev/sdd4 > fsck-$blockpos.log; done
and then comparing those output files. Unfortunately, all show the same resulting output meaning there is no benefit from using them. A script i found @ http://blog.windfluechter.net/index.php?/archives/307-Automatically-restore-files-from-lost+found-improved.html which can move objects back in place from lost+found has to backup all filenames BEFORE running into this situation so is not of great help at this point..

Oh and this extundelete tool - i couldn't quite put it to the test because as soon as i let it loose on the partition - well it quickly eats up all memory causing the oom_killer to terminate it.

Force-mounting the partition _without_ repairing it just results in an empty mount point.

Ain't there no alternative way to reconstruct the directory structure, it surely can't be overwritten completely...??
regards marcel.