Date:	Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:51:40 +0200
From:	Karel Zak <kzak@...hat.com>
To:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>,
	Scott James Remnant <scott@...ntu.com>
Cc:	Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar@...l.ru>,
	util-linux-ng@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: libuuid (Re: blkid: util-linux-ng vs. e2fsprogs)

On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:48:57AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> It is supposed to be safe to replace the built-in libblkid in
> e2fsprogs with the one in util-linux-ng.  There may be bugs, but if
> there are report them, and we'll work to get them fixed.  I'll try to
> keep the bug fixes in e2fsprogs and util-linux-ng roughly synchronized
> for at least a while, since it takes a while for distributions to make
> the switch.  So a brusque, "drop libblkid, who cares if we screw over
> distro's that haven't yet moved to util-linux-ng" is not in the cards,
> no.  In terms of formal plan, probably in a year or so.  I'm believer
> in long compatibility windows.

 Yes, this is our plan.

 This reminds me...

 The next step is to move libuuid from e2fsprogs to util-linux-ng.
 Currently, this library is widely used by many packages (Fedora-11):

   $ repoquery --qf="%{NAME}" --whatrequires libuuid* | sort -u | wc -l
   74

 The util-linux-ng code is already prepared for this change and the
 library has been merged into git tree.

 It would be nice to add the --disable-uuid option to e2fsprogs. If I
 good remember Scott has a patch for this change. Scott?

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@...hat.com>