Date:	Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:04:51 -0700
From:	Mingming <cmm@...ibm.com>
To:	Jiaying Zhang <jiayingz@...gle.com>
Cc:	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Michael Rubin <mrubin@...gle.com>,
	Manuel Benitez <rickyb@...gle.com>,
Subject: Re: ext4 DIO read performance issue on SSD

On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 18:27 -0700, Jiaying Zhang wrote:
> Thinking about this again, I think there is another benefit to always
> allocate uninitialized blocks first in all kinds of write, including
> size-extending write.
>
> Currently, we avoid exposing stale data during size-extending
> write by adding the inode to the orphan list before changing the
> file size.

Jan kara corrected me on this misunderstanding before. The orphan list
in the direct IO code is there to trim the inode to the original size if
the system/fs crash in the middle of expanding a file. The file won't
get size updated until all the IO is completed.

The ordeded journal mode is there to avoid exposing stale data during
the size extending write.

> This helps us with journaled ext4 because the journal
> guarantees that the on-disk orphan list will be updated first before
> data is written to disk and i_size is updated. But with non-journal ext4,
> we don't update orphan list during size-extending write because
> without a journal, there is no guarantee on the ordering of writes to disk.
> So if the system crashes after the on-disk i_size is updated but before
> data hits to disk (this is rare but can happen during fsync), we may
> end up exposing stale data with non-journal ext4.
>
> I think allocating uninitialized extend first during such size-extending
> write and then converting the extend into initialized during end_io
> time can help close this security hole with non-journal ext4.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Probably true, something similar to data=guarded mode.