Date:	Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:36:12 -0800
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Group descriptor 0 checksum is invalid

On 2009-11-14, at 14:00, Christian Kujau wrote:
> when trying to convert an ext3 filesystem to ext4, I'm getting these
> "Group descriptor 0 checksum is invalid" messages. I've seen them
> before
> and the net is full of them, but I still wonder if they're expected to
> show up at all during the filesystem's first fsck. See below for the
> script log.

Yes, this is because enabling the uninit_bg feature on the filesystem
also
requires that the group descriptor checksums are used.  This is the
reason
why it asks you to run e2fsck on the filesystem.

It isn't safe to just have tune2fs initialize the unused inode count
based
on the inode bitmap and then compute the checksums when the uninit_bg
feature, since tune2fs can't know for sure know which inodes are in use
without a full e2fsck run.

I suppose it would be possible to just set the bg_itable_unused = 0 and
then compute the checksum at tune2fs, and the next time the e2fsck is
run it will initialize bg_itable_unused to the right value.  It is a bit
sub-optimal, but not harmful and it avoids the need to run a full
e2fsck.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger