Date:	Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:15:11 -0700
From:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@....com>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <aneesh.kumar@...ux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Please reserve INCOMPAT flags

On 2009-09-06, at 03:25, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> in addition to the data-in-dirent INCOMPAT flag Rahul sent the patches
> for last week, I would like to ensure that we also have the INCOMPAT
> flag for large EA-in-inode flag reserved.  This patch is going into
> testing at one of our large customers, and I want to make sure that
> we don't accidentally get a conflicting INCOMPAT flag assignment.
>
> #define EXT4_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_EA_INODE	0x0400
> #define EXT4_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_DIRDATA   0x1000
>
> #define EXT4_EA_INODE_FL	0x00200000 /* Inode uses large EA */

Hi Ted,
I noticed Aneesh proposing to use the 0x0400 INCOMPAT flag for the
NFSv4 ACL support, but this conflicts with the large EA feature we had
previously discussed.  We now have a couple of customers using the
large EA feature at this point, and I wouldn't want to break their
filesystem as a result of an avoidable conflict.

I'll attach patches for this, which will hopefully make it easier, and
the patch tracking tool will keep this visible.

Aneesh, maybe you can use 0x0800 for the INCOMPAT_RICHACL?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group