Date:	Fri, 25 Dec 2009 08:22:38 -0800
From:	Larry McVoy <lm@...mover.com>
To:	tytso@....edu
Cc:	Christian Kujau <lists@...dbynature.de>,
	jfs-discussion@...ts.sourceforge.net, linux-nilfs@...r.kernel.org,
	xfs@....sgi.com, reiserfs-devel@...r.kernel.org,
	Peter Grandi <pg_jf2@....for.sabi.co.UK>,
	ext-users <ext3-users@...hat.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Jfs-discussion] benchmark results

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 11:14:53AM -0500, tytso@....edu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 05:52:34PM -0800, Christian Kujau wrote:
> >
> > Well, I do "sync" after each operation, so the data should be on disk, but
> > that doesn't mean it'll clear the filesystem buffers - but this doesn't
> > happen that often in the real world too. Also, all filesystem were tested
> > equally (I hope), yet some filesystem perform better than another - even
> > if all the content copied/tar'ed/removed would perfectly well fit into the
> > machines RAM.
>
> Did you include the "sync" in part of what you timed?  Peter was quite
> right --- the fact that the measured bandwidth in your "cp" test is
> five times faster than the disk bandwidth as measured by hdparm, and
> many file systems had exactly the same bandwidth, makes me very
> suspicious that what was being measured was primarily memory bandwidth
> --- and not very useful when trying to measure file system
> performance.

Dudes, sync() doesn't flush the fs cache, you have to unmount for that.
Once upon a time Linux had an ioctl() to flush the fs buffers, I used
it in lmbench.

	ioctl(fd, BLKFLSBUF, 0);

No idea if that is still supported, but sync() is a joke for benchmarking.
--
---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com