Date:	Thu, 15 Apr 2010 23:39:04 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
	ext4 development <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: ext34_free_inode's mess

On Wed 14-04-10 18:33:30, Dmitry Monakhov wrote:
> Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz> writes:
>
> > On Wed 14-04-10 15:19:47, Dmitry Monakhov wrote:
> >> I've finally automated my favorite testcase (see attachment),
> >> before i've run it by hand.
> >> And sometimes i've saw following complain from fsck:
> >> fsck.ext4 -f -n /dev/sdb2
> >> Pass 5: Checking group summary information
> >> Inode bitmap differences:  -93582
> >> Fix? no
> >>
> >> Free inodes count wrong for group #12 (4634, counted=4633).
> >> Fix? no
> >>
> >> Free inodes count wrong (35610, counted=35609).
> >> Fix? no
> >   Interesting. So some inode is marked as free although it is in
> > use, right? That sounds like a nasty bug - if you reproduce this
> > again, could you use debugfs to find out what file type is that
> > inode? It could help looking for the bug.
> No problems,
> wget http://download.openvz.org/~dmonakhov/junk/sdb2-2.bz2
> In fact i've had even better image (with only 1 free inode in a
> group, but full bitmask) unfortunately i forgot to save it.
  I've looked at it: So the problem is the other way around (I always
confuse this). The inode is properly deleted but the bit remains set
in the bitmap. What is strange is that group descriptor counts are
correct so it's really only the bitmap bit that is wrong. I've looked
through the inode allocation and freeing code back and forth but I could
not find a place where this could realistically happen.
  So just for record:
Inode has mtime = ctime = atime = dtime (so it was really deleted), i_nlink
= 0, it is a directory, i_disksize = 4096, i_blocks = 0. So indeed it looks
that we were in ext4_mkdir, we failed to allocate the block for directory
and went to out_clear_inode (thus i_disksize remained to be set to 4096,
otherwise it would be set to 0)... But how it happened that the bit in the
bitmap didn't get cleared while the group descriptors were updated is
beyond me.
  Alternatively the inode could have been deleted just fine and later we
just set the bit in the inode bitmap and didn't update anything else. But
even this does not seem to be possible to me...
  Since you can reproduce it, good first step would be to

> >> I've started to look an inode bitmap manipulation code paths
> >> and found strange logic in ext{3,4}_free_inode functions
> >>
> >> 1) Group lock acquired twice for bitmap and for group_desc.
> >>    There are not any advantage from this double locking, only
> >>    error path(where the bit is already cleared) takes an
> >>    advantage from this locking schema.
> >>    It is reasonable to batch it in to one locking block.
> >   I guess you think that this happens because we pass the lock parameter
> > to ext3_clear_bit_atomic. But if you would actually look at the definition
> > of the function, you would see that it's hard to find an architecture that
> > uses the lock. Most architectures just use atomic bitop to clear the bit.
> > I actually fail to see why anyone would need the lock - probably Ted knows
> > :).
> >
> >> 2) if we failed to read gdp then bh2 is undefined so
> >>    may result in oops due to undefince pointer dereferance.
> >   No, because during mount time we check that all gdp pointers exist so
> > ext3_get_group_desc can never fail after the mount has succeeded.
> Yes, that is right,  why we have to check gdp to NULL when?
  Hmm, I've looked at the code again and I think the check is there mainly
to avoid Oops in case filesystem got corrupted and we computed some bogus
group number. Not that I would see how that could happen in this particular
case but in some other uses of ext3_get_group_desc it could happen. So
moving the gdp check before we use bh2 probably makes some sence (although
it's probably just a style cleanup in this case).

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR