Date:	Tue, 6 Jul 2010 18:08:53 -0700
From:	"Daniel Taylor" <Daniel.Taylor@....com>
To:	<tytso@....edu>
Cc:	"Eric Sandeen" <sandeen@...hat.com>, <amir73il@...il.com>,
	<linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: inconsistent file placement

The benchmarks are chosen by individual reviewers (probably looking over
each others' shoulders).  "smallnetbuilder.com" is a fairly good example.

FWIW:

1) NASPT, PC only
2) IOzone, Mac & PC
3) IOmeter, PC

BTW, the simple test sequence was trying to distill something that our
in-house performance tester was seeing in some SATA traces.  It is NOT
one of the "real" benchmarks.

> Speaking of fallocate.... if this is a NAS box than the file is
> probably written using CIFS, right?  Are you using a modern version of
> Samba?

Currently, we're on 3.2.5 of smdb, but that's because the later versions
work less well with ext3.  We will be testing them with ext4 now that
we see the other options it offers.

Soon as I can get the fallocate utility cross-built, there are some
experiments that I want to run, but those will take a couple of days.

Thanks again for all of your help.