Date:	Wed, 4 Aug 2010 11:16:01 -0700
From:	"Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...ibm.com>
To:	Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, tytso@....edu,
	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>,
	Mingming Cao <cmm@...ibm.com>,
	linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Keith Mannthey <kmannth@...ibm.com>,
	Mingming Cao <mcao@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] ext4: Don't send extra barrier during fsync if there are
	no dirty pages.

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 05:01:52AM -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 05:09:39PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > Well... on my fsync-happy workloads, this seems to cut the barrier count down
> > by about 20%, and speeds it up by about 20%.
>
> Care to share the test case for this?  I'd be especially interesting on
> how it behaves with non-draining barriers / cache flushes in fsync.

Sure.  When I run blktrace with the ffsb profile, I get these results:

barriers	transactions/sec
16212		206
15625		201
10442		269
10870		266
15658		201

Without Jan's patch:
barriers	transactions/sec
20855		177
20963		177
20340		174
20908		177

The two ~270 results are a little odd... if we ignore them, the net gain with
Jan's patch is about a 25% reduction in barriers issued and about a 15%
increase in tps.  (If we don't, it's ~30% and ~30%, respectively.)  That said,
I was running mkfs between runs, so it's possible that the disk layout could
have shifted a bit.  If I turn off the fsync parts of the ffsb profile, the
barrier counts drop to about a couple every second or so, which means that
Jan's patch doesn't have much of an effect.  But it does help if someone is
hammering on the filesystem with fsync.

The ffsb profile is attached below.

--D

-----------