Date:	Fri, 08 Oct 2010 08:19:47 +0400
From:	Dmitry <dmonakhov@...nvz.org>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: DRAFT Design Spec for 1st Class Quota Support in Ext4

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:11:28 +0400, Dmitry Monakhov <dmonakhov@...nvz.org> wrote:
> "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu> writes:
>
> > Please comment!
> >
> > 		    1st Class Quota Support in Ext4
> > 		    DRAFT Design Specification, v0.5
> >

> > This proposal promotes quota to being a first class supported feature in
> > ext4.  To do this, we will do the following:
> >
> > 1)  We define the following two new fields to the superblock.  No new
> > COMPAT features are defined; since unused superblock fields are zero, if
> > the fields are not known.
> >   *) A superblock field containing the inode number for the user quota
> >      file.  This inode number will be 3 if the inode is user quota file
> >      is hidden.  If this field is zero, then user quotas will not be tracked.
> >   *) A superblock field containing the inode number for the group quota
> >      file.  This inode number will be 4 if the inode is group quota file
> >      is hidden.  If this field is zero, then group quotas will not be
> >      tracked.

I hope, that it is no too late for new thoughts.

While working on generic quota code i've realized what we can make
journalled quota accounting almost for free.

Today it is painful because
1) each quota modification result in quota write
   make_quota_dirty
     ->write_quota
       which means
       1A) i_mutex on quota file
       1B) locks for quota-info and buffer on data copy.
       1C) locking in journal internals.

It is relatively easy to solve (1A) and was already discussed,
just skip it if quota already exist on the disk.

But others issues are also solvable. Here is an idea:
1) dquot should contain per_cpu counters
   {
      per_cpu_ptr b_reserved;
      per_cpu_ptr b_current;
      per_cpu_ptr i_current;
   };
  This allow us to make charge/claim/free path lock-less if we do not
  care about quota_limits. Even with limits we can avoid synchronization
  (i hope) in most cases if consider per_cpu variables as preallocation
  buckets.
  Off course per_cpu vars comes with the cost of memory, but in most cases
  we have hundreds of dquot objects per sb or even less.

2) Change quota mark_dirty policy like follows
   2A) Remember transaction id inside dquot object
       and if transaction is the same as before just exit.
   2B) If transaction not the same do:
         get_write_access(bh)
         /* do not copy quota data yet */
         hanle_dirty_metadata(bh, &quota_copy_callback)
       quota_copy_callback will be attached to journal_head and will
       be called by jbd2 on transaction commit or on starting new
       transaction. That callback will copy data from quota-info,
       and at this moment we do need synchronization with chargers,
       but only once for each transaction.
   Changes in jbd2 doesn't look so scary. And performance gain seems
   promising.

I'll try to come up with the proof of concept path soon.
BTW what are current ETAs for huge ext4-quota changes?