Date:	Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:36:38 -0800
From:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
To:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>
Cc:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...nel.dk>, "Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch] fix up lock order reversal in writeback

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:04:21 -0600 Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com> wrote:

> >> Really?  I thought it was pretty decent ;)
> >>
> >> Anyway, xfstests 204, "Test out ENOSPC flushing on small filesystems."
> >> shows the problem clearly, IIRC.  I should have included that in the
> >> changelog, I suppose, sorry.
> >
> > Your email didn't really impart any information :(
> >
> > I suppose I could accidentally delete those nasty little functions in a
> > drivers/parport patch then wait and see if anyone notices.
> >

> Um, ok, then, to answer the question directly :
>
> No, please don't delete those functions, it will break ENOSPC handling
> in ext4 as shown by xfstests regression test #204 ...

If those functions "fix" a testcase then it was by sheer luck, and the
fs's ENOSPC handling is still busted.

For a start writeback_inodes_sb_if_idle() is a no-op if the device
isn't idle!  Secondly, if the device _was_ idle,
writeback_inodes_sb_if_idle() uses a work handoff to another thread,
which means that the work might not get executed for another six weeks.

So no, your ENOSPC handling is still busted and I'll be doing you a
favour when I send that parport patch.

No?