Date:	Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:10:04 +1100
From:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...nel.dk>
To:	Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...nel.dk>, Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...hat.com>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-btrfs@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch] fix up lock order reversal in writeback

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 09:58:31AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:18:22 +1100 Nick Piggin <npiggin@...nel.dk> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:28:34PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > Logically I'd expect i_mutex to nest inside s_umount.  Because s_umount
> > > is a per-superblock thing, and i_mutex is a per-file thing, and files
> > > live under superblocks.  Nesting s_umount outside i_mutex creates
> > > complex deadlock graphs between the various i_mutexes, I think.
> >
> > You mean i_mutex outside s_umount?
> >

> Nope.  i_mutex should nest inside s_umount.  Just as inodes nest inside
> superblocks!  Seems logical to me ;)

Right, but your last sentence seemed to suggest that the natural
ordering creates deadlocks :)

> > > And why _do_ we need to hold s_umount during the bdi_queue_work()
> > > handover?  Would simply bumping s_count suffice?
> >
> > s_count just prevents it from going away, but s_umount is still needed
> > to keep umount, remount,ro, freezing etc activity away. I don't think
> > there is an easy way to do it.
> >
> > Perhaps filesystem should have access to the dirty throttling path, kick
> > writeback or delayed allocation etc as needed, and throttle against
> > outstanding work that needs to be done, going through the normal
> > writeback paths?
>
> I just cannot believe that we need s_mount inside ->write_begin.  Is it
> really the case that someone can come along and unmount or remount or
> freeze our filesystem while some other process is down performing a
> ->write_begin against one of its files?  Kidding?

Not for the work handoff either? If that is all waited on synchronously
before ->write_end returns, then no we shouldn't need any more locks
of course.

But asynch writeout needs a mutex rather than refcount so the umount
has something to block against and not just fail.