Date:	Tue, 28 Dec 2010 14:06:03 -0500
From:	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>
To:	Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@...il.com>
CC:	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Atomic file data replace API

On 12/28/2010 12:27 PM, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Ted Ts'o<tytso@....edu>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 12:51:54PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>>> Since the introduction of ext4, some apps/users have had issues with
>>> file corruption after a system crash. It's not a bug in the FS AFAIK
>>> and it's not exclusive to ext4.
>>> Writing a temp file, fsync, rename is often proposed.
>>> But how does one preserve meta-data, including file owner?
>> What's the use case where preserving file ownership matters?
> Why is it you ignore most of the question and only challenge a tiny bit?
> I can't think of a problem case right now, but I sure can't guarantee
> always resetting file owner is never a problem.
>
> Olaf

I really think that you have missed the point of this list.

This list is for either developers (those who have downloaded the free code and
work on it) or others who want to move things forward concretely.

Perfectly fine to contribute ideas, but if you are not a coder or do not have
the time or inclination to work on things yourself, you have to be *really*
convincing.

We continually get bombarded with ideas, wish list items, etc so we are not
lacking in work to do.

If you cannot explain the use case, you will not get any buy in...

Regards,

Ric