Date:	Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:30:10 +0100
From:	Christian Stroetmann <stroetmann@...olinux.com>
To:	Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@...il.com>
CC:	linux-fsdevel <linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org>,
	linux-ext4 <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>,
	Olaf van der Spek <olafvdspek@...il.com>,
	Ric Wheeler <rwheeler@...hat.com>,
	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>, Neil Brown <neilb@...e.de>
Subject: Re: Atomic file data replace API

On the 29.12.2010 18:15, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Christian Stroetmann
> <stroetmann@...olinux.com>  wrote:
>> On the 29.12.2010 13:42, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>> No, not this way. You were and still are asked for delivering the code.
>> Don't pervert the threat of the discussion.

>>> I'm really looking for a concrete code snippet/function that does this.
>>> For example, file permissions should definitely be preserved.

>>> Swapping data is an improvement but still not ideal. The API is also
>>> more complex than O_ATOMIC.

>>> Each app makes it's own decision about what API to use. Supporting
>>> atomic stuff doesn't change the behaviour of existing apps.
>> Wrong, we are talking here in the first place about general atomic FS
>> operations. And to guarantee atomicity you have to change general FS
>> functions in such a way that in the end all other applications are affected,
>> or otherwise you have to implement an own (larger part of an) FS.
>> At this point there is no discussion anymore without code from you, because
>> this subject is as well discussed to the maximum in information
>> processing/informatics/computer science.

>>> Maybe I should ask devs of some large apps on their take of this issue.
>> Nonsense, because they are already using:
>> a) the functions available by an FS,
>> b) the functions available by a DBMS, or
>> c) a propritary special solution based on the available functions of the OS
>> and additional functionality that they develope and maintain themselves
>> for their comparable use cases since decades due to the cost vs. benefit
>> ratio.
> <sarcasm>
> Olaf, clearly if you want to find issues / use cases for your new API
> you should not talk to developers of complex tools.  They have it all
> figured out.
>
> It's only you that doesn't know how to code up a userspace solution to
> the problem.
> <\sarcasm>

<no_sarcasm>
This is not the place for sarcasm.
</no_sarcasm>

> Surely productivity suites like openoffice have to address the issue.
> How satisfied they are I don't know.  And despite Neil's argument that
> only one user should be able to write to a given doc, that is just not
> how normal office suites work today.

I think that Neil doesn't meant it in this way or context.

> Also, I believe KDE and its myriad of config files has issues with
> major config file corruption due to unexpected shutdowns during the
> config file update process, so they certainly don't have it figured
> out.
>
> Why don't they use the temp file, fsync, rename process?

<no_sarcasm>
Because they figured it out?!
</no_sarcasm>

> Those are the 2 user-space suites I would go investigate first.  I'm
> sure there are many others.
>
> Also, I believe Windows offers an API like your proposing.  How does
> Samba support it?
>
> Greg

<no sarcasm>
Furthermore, in conjunction with the given 2 user-space suites it was said:
"I don't know" and
"I believe".
</no sarcasm>

==>  leaving the thread
Please don't TO and CC anymore.
E-mails that are related with this thread will be sorted by name and then deleted without reading on the behalf of the reciever.

Christian Stroetmann