Date:	Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:51:27 +1100
From:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>
To:	Nick Piggin <npiggin@...il.com>, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, ocfs2-devel@....oracle.com
Subject: Re: Confused by commit 56a76f [fs: fix page_mkwrite error cases in
 core code and btrfs]

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@...cle.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 10:16:35PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

>> >        This is going to be hard.  Our write_end() assumes it must
>> > unlock the pages (which is normal behavior for write(2)), but in the
>> > page_mkwrite() case we need to avoid the unlock to follow your
>> > recommendation (we use our write_begin/write_end pair to trigger any
>> > allocation or zeroing needed before the page is writable).
>>
>> Yes that would be the best option. It is possible to use the unlocked
>> return, but that still gives possibility of races in some cases. Consider
>
>        Yes, I am aware of that.
>
>> Basically it would be nice for all filesystems to move to this convention
>> so we can remove the old cruft.
>
>        I can appreciate that.  And you've just answered the "Do you
> want us to get there, or are minor faults in the old-0-style OK?"
> question.

It is OK in that it will work. It is not preferred, if you are reworking pleaase
use the new style.

>> >        The find_or_create_page() is deep at the meat of the function,
>> > not the cursory check at the top.  The idea is that at this point,
>> > find_or_create_page() will return a locked page that must, by
>> > definition, be part of the correct mapping.
>>
>> But you must still handle failures there, because find_or_create_page
>> may return -ENOMEM. So just lock the page, recheck the mapping
>> there, and then do exactly the same error handling.
>
>        Of course it can error, but error is different than clean
> restart.  Though cleanup should be the same; I'm looking at our code
> trying to convince myself that this is so ;-)

Cleanup is exactly the same, yes, because the only difference in
different error codes is what the VM does with them.

>  Btw, -ENOMEM is that OOM
> fault error, right? ;-)

Right.

>> >        If the VM is rechecking the pte after we return from
>> > page_mkwrite(), won't it see any new page created?
>>
>> But the point of page_mkwrite is a dirty notifier for the fs. If this new
>> different page was installed due to say truncate then a read-only
>> fault, the filesystem would miss the notification. So it just does the
>> simple thing and retries the whole sequence (if needed).
>
>        Fair enough, even if we caused the new page and thus are already
> notified ;-)

Well, you would be notified via ->fault, but not not writable fault and no
page_mkwrite.

>        Essentially, you would really like us (and ext4, and gfs2, etc)
> to start returning VM_FAULT_NOPAGE for any place we aren't sure what
> happened to our page, VM_FAULT_OOM when we get an -ENOMEM, and
> VM_FAULT_LOCKED for all successful operations.  That the long and short
> of it?  Thank you for helping me understand your plan for this code.

Exactly.

>        Btw, what not use VM_FAULT_RETRY for "I'd like you to retry"?
> Especially since the comment for NOPAGE doesn't read anything like its
> actual behavior.

It was designed first to replace that old ->nopfn handler, so it does need
comments updating. RETRY doesn't cover the ->nopfn usage, but NOPAGE
does cover the retry usage, I think, so names are OK.