Date:	Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:39:05 +0100 (CET)
From:	Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>
To:	Tao Ma <tm@....ma>
cc:	Andreas Dilger <adilger.kernel@...ger.ca>,
	Lukas Czerner <lczerner@...hat.com>,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Subject: Re: speed up group trim

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, Tao Ma wrote:

> On 01/24/2011 09:33 AM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > >
> > > It looks good.
> > > Just an extra point. we have to store 'minlen' passed in by fstrim_range.
> > > So if the user first try minlen=1mb, and then we give them the number we
> > > have trimmed. If he isn't satisfied, he can try minlen=512kb again. In
> > > this case we have to check with the old 'minlen' and retry again if
> > > minlen<  old_minlen.
> >
> > Maybe I missed something, but why would one run with minlen=1MB and then run
> > again with minlen=512kB?  I can't see why running this command twice would
> > be better than running it a single time with minlen=512kB, if the hardware
> > actually supports that.
> >
> I don't know either. But that is the user's choice of 'minlen' and we can't
> provent them from doing like that.
>
> Here is a scenario:
> 1. run with minlen=1mb, he got that only 1G get trimmed. but the free space is
> more than 3gb actually because of the fragmentation.
> 2. So he decide to run with minlen=512kb or even smaller len to see whether
> more space can be trimmed.
>
> Is it possible? I guess the answer is yes.

Hi,

I think that this is actually quite useful *feature*. I can imagine that
people might want to run FITRIM with bigger minlen (megabytes or tens of
megabytes) weekly, as it is much faster, especially on fragmented
filesystem. Then, they might want to run FITRIM with smaller minlen (4kB)
monthly to reclaim even the smaller (or all of them) extents.

But I like Andreas' idea, it should improve FITRIM performance
significantly (since we are doing mkfs trim). Minlen can be stored in
high bits of bb_state as number of blocks.

Thanks!
-Lukas