Date:	Fri, 25 Feb 2011 20:05:43 +0200
From:	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
To:	Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	Andreas Dilger <adilger@...ger.ca>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Proposed design for big allocation blocks for ext4

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Theodore Tso <tytso@....edu> wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2011, at 3:21 AM, Andreas Dilger wrote:
>
>> I guess one would need to be careful with the inode ratio, since the number of inodes per group is still only 32k or less.  This implies that the allocation blocksize should not be larger than the inode ratio (i.e. the average file size) otherwise there will not be enough inodes to allocate 1 allocation block per inode.
>
> Yes.  You would only want to do this on large data disks, where the average file size is large.   For example, in the target application I have in mind, the average file size might be 8 or 16 megabytes, and then I might use a 1M  allocation block size.
>

>>> To minimize changes to ext4, we will constrain an allocation block such
>>> that it must contain only fixed file system metadata (i.e., block
>>> bitmaps, inode bitmaps, and inode table) or data blocks belonging to a
>>> single inode.  Furthermore, if allocation block is to be used for data
>>> blocks for an inode, it must be used contiguously starting at a file
>>> offset which is a multiple of the allocation blocksize.  The first
>>> block of the allocation block must be mapped in the extent tree (or
>>> indirect block), so that the ext4_map_blocks() can easily find (and
>>> continue using) partially used allocation block.
>>
>> For files with holes, does this mean that e.g. a sparse file with 4 data ranges of 256kB each, in a filesystem with 1MB allocation blocks would use 4*1MB of space in the filesystem, or could the sparse ranges be allocated from within a single 1MB allocation block?  The easier and more straight forward implementation would imply 4*1MB blocks are consumed (i.e. identical to the case where there are really 1MB blocks), even though it would waste more space.
>
> It is identical to the case where there are really 1MB blocks.   That's why I said, "allocation bocks must be used contiguously starting at a file offset which is a multiple of the allocation block size".  This allows ext4_map_blocks to find a previously used allocation block by simply looking up what block was used at the beginning of the allocation block range.
>

>> I'm particularly interested in what happens with directories?  Some data structures like ext2_dirent_2.rec_len can only handle a blocksize of 256kB, even with the hack to use the low 2 bits of rec_len to store the MSB of the actual length.
>>
>> Would directories be affected at all, since the underlying blocksize is still 4kB?
>
> Directories don't change at all.
>

>>> = E2fsprogs changes required =
>>>
>>> # Changes to dumpe2fs, debugfs, etc., to understand the new
>>> superblock field.
>>>
>>> # Changes to mke2fs to understand how to allocate the inode, block,
>>> and inode table metadata blocks.
>>
>> Presumably, it would always make sense to consume an entire allocation block with metadata...  Inodes in the itable would fill up the whole allocation block, or the rest of the space would be wasted.

> [...]

I like your design. very KISS indeed.
I am just wondering why should BIGALLOC be INCOMPAT and not RO_COMPAT?
After all, ro mount doesn't allocate and RO_COMPAT features are so much nicer...

So maybe by forcing a flex_bg to align with the bigalloc group
and at the cost of "wasting" 1 bigalloc block on-disk for the
flex/bigalloc block bitmap,
the on-disk layout can stay the same and only the internal format of
the on-disk bitmap
will change.
And I can't see how ro mount can possibly be affected by the content
of the block bitmaps.

Amir.