Date:	Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:27:45 +0100
From:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, Andrei Warkentin <andreiw@...orola.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [RFC 4/5] MMC: Adjust unaligned write accesses.

Hi ext4 developers,

Andrei has been experimenting with optimizations in the mmc layer for
specific eMMC media. The test results so far show not much success, but
I was rather surprised that ext4 performs worse than ext3 on this
drive and test case.

I would have expected that with support for delayed allocation and
trim, it should be better.

	Arnd

Subject: Re: [RFC 4/5] MMC: Adjust unaligned write accesses.
Date: Saturday 19 March 2011
From: Andrei Warkentin <andreiw@...orola.com>
To: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
CC: linux-mmc@...r.kernel.org

Hi Arnd, all...

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:40 AM, Andrei Warkentin <andreiw@...orola.com> wrote:

>>> Revalidating the data now, along with some more tests, to get a better
>>> picture. It seems the more data I get, the less it makes sense :(.
>>
>> I was already fearing that the change would only benefit low-level
>> benchmarks. It certainly helps writing small chunks to the buffer
>> that is meant for FAT32 directories, but at some point, the card
>> will have to write back the entire logical erase block, so you
>> might not be able to gain much in real-world workloads.

Attaching is some data I have collected  on the MMC32G part. I tried
to make the collection process as controlled as possible, as well as
use more-or-less a "real life" usage case that involves running a user
application, so it's not just a purely synthetic test at block level.

Attached file (I hope you don't mind PDFs) contains data collected for
two possible optimizations. The second page of the document tests the
vendor suggested optimization that is basically -
if (request_blocks < 24) {
     /* given request offset, calculate sectors remaining on 8K page
containing offset */
     sectors = 16 - (request_offset % 16);
     if (request_blocks > sectors) {
        request_blocks = sectors;
     }
}
...I'll call this optimization A.

...the first page of the document tests the optimization that floated
up on the list when I first sent a patch with the vendor suggestions.
That optimization being - align all unaligned accesses (either all
completely, or under a certain size threshold) on flash page size.
I'll call this optimization B.

To test, a collect time info for 2000 small inserts into a table with
sqlite into 20 separate tables. So that's 20 x 2000 sqlite inserts per
test. The test is executed for ext2, ext3 and ext4 with a 4k block
size. Every test begins with a flash discard and format operation on
the partition where the tables are created and accessed, to ensure
similar acceses to flash on every test. All other partitions are RO,
and no processes other than those needed by the tests run. All power
management is disabled. The results are thus repeatable, consistent
and stable across reboots and power-on time...

Each test consists of:
1) Unmount partition
2) Flash erase
3) Format with fs
4) Mount
5) Sync
6) echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
7) run 20 x 2000 inserts as described above
8) unmount

For optimization B testing, the alignment size and alignment access
size threshold (same parameters as in my RFC patch) are exposed
through debugfs. To get B test data, the flow was

1) Set alignment to none (no optimization)
2) Sql test on ext2
3) Sql test on ext3
4) Sql test on ext4

6) Set alignment to 8k, no threshold
7) Sql test on ext2
8) Sql test on ext3
9) Sql test on ext4

10) Set alignment to 8k, < 8k only
11) Sql test on ext2
12) Sql test on ext3
13) Sql test on ext4

...all the way up to 32K threshold.

For optimization A testing, the optimization was turned off/on with a
debugfs attribute, and the data collected with this flow:

1) Turn off optimization
2) Sql test on ext2
3) Sql test on ext3
4) Sql test on ext4
5) Turn on optimization
6) Sql test on ext2
7) Sql test on ext3
8) Sql test on ext4

My interpretation of the results: Any kind of alignment-on-flash page
optimization produced data that in all cases was either
indistinguishable from control, or was worse. Do you agree with my
interpretation?

So I guess that hexes the align optimization, at least until I can get
data for MMC16G with the same controlled setup. Sorry about that. I'll
work on the "reliability optimization" now, which I guess are pretty
generic for cards with similar buffer schemes. It relies on reliable
writes, so exposing that will be first for review here...

Even though I'm rescinding the adjust/align patch, is there any chance
for pulling in my quirks changes?

Thanks,