Date:	Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:50:10 -0500
From:	Eric Sandeen <sandeen@...deen.net>
To:	Pádraig Brady <P@...igBrady.com>
CC:	xfs-oss <xfs@....sgi.com>, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	coreutils@....org, Markus Trippelsdorf <markus@...ppelsdorf.de>
Subject: Re: Files full of zeros with coreutils-8.11 and xfs (FIEMAP related?)

On 4/14/11 9:59 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:

>> `filefrag -vs` fixes the issue on both xfs and ext4.
>
> So in summary, currently on (2.6.39-rc3), the following
> will (usually?) report a single unwritten extent,
> on both ext4 and xfs
>
>   fallocate -l 10MiB -n k
>   dd count=10 if=/dev/urandom conv=notrunc iflag=fullblock of=k
>   filefrag -v k # grep for an extent without unwritten || fail

right, that's what I see too in testing.

But would the coreutils install have done a preallocation of the destination file?

Otherwise this looks like a different bug...

> This particular issue has been discussed so far at:
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8411
> Note there it was stated there that ext4 had this
> fixed as of 2.6.39-rc1, so maybe there is something lurking?

ext4 got a fix, but not xfs, I guess.  My poor brain can't remember, I think I started looking into it, but it's clearly still broken.

Still, I don't know for sure what happened to Markus - did something preallocate, in his case?

-Eric