Date:	Wed, 4 May 2011 21:24:36 +0200
From:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
To:	Surbhi Palande <surbhi.palande@...onical.com>
Cc:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, toshi.okajima@...fujitsu.com,
	tytso@....edu, m.mizuma@...fujitsu.com, adilger.kernel@...ger.ca,
	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
	sandeen@...hat.com
Subject: Re: your mail

On Tue 03-05-11 18:43:48, Surbhi Palande wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 06:36 PM, Jan Kara wrote:
> >>
> >>Sorry for missing the subject line :(

> >>Ok! Thanks for that!

> >>My only point is:
> >>1) something should prevent the freeze from happening. We cant
> >>merely check the vfs_check_frozen()?
> >   Yes, I agree - see my other email with patches.
> >
> >>And this should be done where the page is marked dirty.Also, I
> >>thought that the page is marked read-write only in the page table in
> >>the __do_page_fault()? i.e the zap_pte_range() marks them dirty in
> >>the page cache? Is this understanding right?
> >   The page can become dirty either because it was written via standard
> >write - write_begin is responsible for reliable check here - or it was
> >written via mmap - here we rely on page_mkwrite to do a reliable check -
> >it is analogous to write_begin callback. There should be no other way
> >to dirty a page.
> >
> >With dirty bits it is a bit complicated. We have two of them in fact. One
> >in page table entry maintained by mmu and one in page structure maintained
> >by kernel. Some functions (such as zap_pte_range()) copy the dirty bits
> >from page table into struct page. This is a lazy process so page can in
> >principle have new data without a dirty bit set in struct page because we
> >have not yet copied the dirty bit from page table. Only at moments where it
> >is important (like when we want to unmap the page, or throw away the page,
> >or so), we make sure struct page and page table bits are in sync.
> >
> >Another subtle thing you need not be aware of it that when we clear page
> >dirty bit, we also writeprotect the page. So we are guaranteed to get a
> >page fault when the page is written to again.
> >
> >>IMHO, whatever code dirties the page in the page cache should call a
> >>F.S specific function and let it _prevent_ a fsfreeze while the page
> >>is getting dirtied, so that a freeze called after this point flushes
> >>this page!
> >   Agreed, that's what code in write_begin() and page_mkwrite() should
> >achieve.
> >								Honza
> Thanks a lot for the wonderful explanation :)
>
> How about the revert : i.e calling  jbd2_journal_unlock_updates()
> from ext4_unfreeze() instead of the ext4_freeze()? Do you agree to
> that?
  Sorry, I don't agree with revert. We could talk about changing
jbd2_journal_unlock_updates() to not return with mutex held (and handle
synchronization of locked journal operations differently) as an alternative
to doing "freeze" reference counting. But returning with mutex held to user
space is no-go. It will cause problems in lockdep, violates kernel locking
rules, and generally is a bad programming ;).

								Honza

--
Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
SUSE Labs, CR