Date:	Thu, 26 May 2011 16:01:00 +0300
From:	Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com>
To:	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>
Cc:	Ext4 Developers List <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Failure in quotaon with kernel 2.6.39 (Was: Regression with ext4 in
 kernel 2.6.39-rc7?)

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Amir Goldstein <amir73il@...il.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz> wrote:
>>
>>  Exactly, that is it. I cannot trigger the problem anymore with the patch.
>> I just wonder how come you've spotted the problem because test 232 does not
>> trigger the problem for me -
>
> It does not surprise me.
> As I wrote earlier, my system (Ubuntu 11.4) is behaving strange.
> Some tests fail the fsck at the end, because the filesystem fails to umount
> immediately after the test (lsof shows nothing and manual umount succeeds).
> It's probably the cause for 232 test to fail (even after the crash was fixed)
> and the cause for quotaoff to be called without quotaon in test 232 on
> my system.
>
>> it is triggered when you run quotaoff without
>> running quotaon and that does not happen with test 232.. Anyway, with the
>> attached patch running quotaoff on filesystem without quotas turned on
>> works fine whereas previously it oopsed.

So my quota tests (219 and 232) still fail (zero output from repquota)
and I realized 2 things:

1. they don't fail with kernel 2.6.38 (Ubuntu 11.4 shipped kernel)

2. what seems to fail is quotaon:

amir@...ab:~/xfstests$ sudo quotaon /mnt/test/scratch
quotaon: using /mnt/test/scratch/aquota.user on /dev/sda8
[/mnt/test/scratch]: No such process
quotaon: Quota format not supported in kernel.

Which also explains why quotaoff was called without quotaon in my
original bug report.

amir@...ab:~/xfstests$ quotaon -V
Quota utilities version 4.00-pre1.
Compiled with: USE_LDAP_MAIL_LOOKUP EXT2_DIRECT HOSTS_ACCESS
ALT_FORMAT RPC RPC_SETQUOTA BSD_BEHAVIOUR
Bugs to jack@...e.cz

Any suggestions?

Amir.