Date:	Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:34:58 +0700
From:	Ivan Shmakov <ivan@...y.siamics.net>
To:	linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: a (documented) way to get the Ext2+ filesystem size?

[…]

 >> I don't seem to understand.  I've scanned through the
 >> (libext2fs.info) Function Index section (as per the Debian's
 >> e2fslibs-dev package, 1.41.12-2), and I see no mention of a function
 >> that I can use for that.

 > Sorry, the documentation is not necessarily complete; my apologies.

	Perhaps I could take a look at that later.

 >> Thus, I've ended up writing my own one, which takes an ext2_filsys
 >> handle, and references, via its ‘super’ member, the ‘s_blocks_count’
 >> and ‘s_blocks_count_hi’ members of the superblock structure.

 > The function to do this is in the 1.42 dev branch which is in Debian
 > unstable, and it's called ext2fs_block_count().

	ACK.  Thanks!

	As I don't plan to introduce a dependency on anything above
	Debian stable, I'll probably add a configure check for that
	function, and if fails, will use either my own code, or the
	copied from the newer e2fsprogs sources.

 >> However, I was concerned that I don't seem to find the documentation
 >> for these structures' contents anywhere.  (Sans the source, of
 >> course), and wondered, if the interface I use is at least stable?

 > I make a very strong effort to ensure that interfaces which are
 > exposed via the shared library are stable.  If you're not sure,
 > please feel free to ask on the ext4 list.

	ACK.  Thanks.

--
FSF associate member #7257	Coming soon: Software Freedom Day